CANT LOGIN -KEYBOARD FREEZE?

Discussion in 'General Technical' started by Grahame, Feb 28, 2009.

1. Grahame

Grahame

Help!

I have Vista Home Edition installed on a Compaq Presario Series V3500 notebook. Has been working sweetly for a year.

Today,the windows Vista login screen appeared as normal, however when it came to typing the passwordno visible password ooooooo (in black) could be entered. ie the keyboard entries did not appear in the password box. Also, using the mouse-pad,the mouse arrow could not be moved around the screen. However using an external mouse the arrow could be moved around the screen.

So what is the problem here? Have I accidently put a lock on the keyboard? If so how do I unlock it?

Regards, Grahame

Grahame, Feb 28, 2009
    1. Advertisements

2. Grahame

WAW8

Did you awaken the machine from sleep or hibernation, or did you power-on? If the either of the first two, Vista still has major problems with both sleep and hibernation. So, shut the machine down and do a cold boot.

If the second, while it's possible that the keyboard went bad (I had the very same thing on a Presario and had to order a new keyboard), one way to check it would be to boot from a CD/DVD that requires you to type something. If that works, it's a problem with Vista. If it doesn't work, your keyboard has gone bad or the connector has worked loose.

To check the connector, you'll have to Google for a hardware manual for the laptop to see how to remove the case to get to the keyboard connector. That's hardware stuff and we don't provide tech support on that here.

WAW8, Feb 28, 2009
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question