Can't Install Windows Vista on my PC

Discussion in 'Installation & Compatibility' started by xaviermerino, Mar 19, 2008.

1. xaviermerino

xaviermerino

Hi! Thanks for reading this post. I bought a Windows Vista Home Premium License. I had my PC 3 years ago, and I want it to run Windows Vista 32-Bit Edition. I had Linux Ubuntu 6.06 LTS, now I erased the linux partition and format the disk with a utility called Dban. I had to make a bootable CD in order to format it. When the disk was in blank I inserted the Windows Vista DVD and the screen said "Windows is loading files"then the progress bar of Windows Vista appears however it stops. I waited there 1 hour, but nothing happened so i thought it was because I didn't format it to NTFS. Then I used GParted to format it to NTFS. I tried again, however it gave me the same results. Please I need help. I love the Windows Vista Graphic Interphase, that was my reason to change. However I can't even install it. Please Help!

Thanks in advance.

xaviermerino, Mar 19, 2008
    1. Advertisements

2. xaviermerino

WAW8

There's no need to format the disk in advance. Vista is capable of installing into free space and doing a format in the process.

When Vista first starts, it has to uncompress the image file on the DVD and write those files to the hard disk to do the installation. Sounds like it's not getting to the hard disk part.

My guess at this point is that you have a SATA hard drive, not PATA, and Vista is not loading the SATA drivers as part of the installation. If the drive is a SATA interface (and any machine that recent is liable to be that), you will have to locate SATA drivers (for Vista) for your motherboard, save them to diskette or USB thumbdrive, and when rebooting from the DVD, press F6 to load the SATA drivers.

What's really interesting is that GNU/Linux 6.06 (was that Dapper or Edgy, I forget) was able to find and install the hard drive but Vista is having problems.

WAW8, Mar 19, 2008
    1. Advertisements

3. xaviermerino

xaviermerino

Ok. Thanks. Maybe I need to find the Vista SATA Drivers, however they are too difficult to find. My Motherboard is an ASRock P4i45G. I tried to find it in the ASRock Website, however i got no results. Is there another way to install Vista?

xaviermerino, Mar 20, 2008
  4. xaviermerino

WAW8

You should have tried Goggling for the ASRock motherboard -- you have the model number. Took me less than 30 seconds to find the site.

The site shows you are running an Intel 845 chipset, which comes with PATA ports, not SATA ports. There are no Vista drivers published at their site for your board.

You should not need PATA drivers to load and install Vista. If it won't progress, there are other problems, possibly BIOS related.

If you want to experiment with downloading and installing drivers anyway, Google for Intel 845 Vista drivers. You will then find several sites that make Vista drivers available for download. You just need to determine which model chipset you have (in your manual or from the ASRock site), and download the proper chipset drivers.

Then, you need to copy the chipset drivers to a diskette, and when you boot Vista from the DVD, press F6 to prompt for a driver load, and insert the diskette. IF you can't get that far in the Vista install, you can't install Vista on this machine.

WAW8, Mar 20, 2008
  5. xaviermerino

xaviermerino

Ok. The PC originally came with Windows XP. I have the Windows XP disc. I did the same, inserted the disc again, however I can't install it either. I am wondering why XP stops in the installation if the PC came with Windows XP... ??

It is Weird. Please Help!

xaviermerino, Mar 20, 2008
  6. xaviermerino

WAW8

OK, use Gparted CD to unformat the disk. Then, try again with the XP CD. Tell me what error you're getting if that fails. But be aware that we are not an XP forum, and if that goes bad, we really can't help you much with XP.

WAW8, Mar 20, 2008
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question