Can't install Vista on Gateway 3018GZ, get BSOD

Discussion in 'General Technical' started by Rix Mix, Jan 8, 2008.

1. Rix Mix

Rix Mix

Well I have a gateway laptop that is 3018GZ model number. I upgraded my memory to 1.25GB and my processor is a Celeron 1.6MHz with about 50 GB of Hard Drive to spare. I went through the installation process, uninstalled some software that is not compatible then it looked like it was installing, on the first reboot during the process, when it was restarting it showed the Gateway logo then bam BSOD.

Now this happened before and everyone said that it was because I had only 512MB of ram, now that's not the case. I also went on Gateway's site to look for updated BIOS and there was nothing, yet Gateway claims that I should have no Issues upgrading to Vista, which is obviously not the case. So anyone have any possible ideas to fix this?

When I start my comp now, it shows the Gateway logo for a sec, then jumps to what looks like the Safe Mode screen, but all it says is select "Earlier version of windows" or "Setup menu" if I don't touch anything for a brief 3-4secs it goes BSOD however if I immediately press "Earlier Version" windows XP loads and I'm fully functional on XP. This is a tough one, any help would be greatly appreciated here.

Peace :cool:

Rix Mix, Jan 8, 2008
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question