Cant install games off disks in vista

Discussion in 'General Technical' started by ranger5250, Feb 12, 2007.

1. ranger5250

ranger5250

i cant install games from disks on vista even if i extract them to my hdd. I have done compatibility and administrator stuff and turned off UAC (Usless Annoying Crap)but every time the setup either starts the installshield wizard and then gives an error before i can do anything. WHEn it hits the splash screen of the game it says error 5003 or 5006 then i report it and it closes. Sometimes i even get setup.exe has stopped working. I have deleted the installshield folder.ETC and still no. If i dl games like defcon they work though.

THNX!!!

ranger5250, Feb 12, 2007
    1. Advertisements

2. ranger5250

w59cb83x

It might just be the games you are trying to install. They might have a compaitiblity issue with Vista. What games are you trying to install? And what's the exacty errors you're getting?

w59cb83x, Feb 13, 2007
    1. Advertisements

3. ranger5250

VistaRocks

The first time you tried to install did you click allow on thesecurity pop-up?What security programs are you running? Sorry for the questions but i have yet to have any problems installing any games.

VistaRocks, Feb 13, 2007
  4. ranger5250

ranger5250

I have ALL security in vista disabled even defender. I have tried reinstalling vista but that is to no avail. And as i games i mean like bf2142 bf2 dawn of war 40k new games and stuff. But small games i can dl do however install fine. Even if i do put the cd on the hdd it still gives errors. The errors do change as well.

ranger5250, Feb 13, 2007
  5. ranger5250

VistaRocks

Try right clicking on the drive that the game is in and click open, then right click on the setup.exe file and run as admin. Btw have you updated the drives drivers?

VistaRocks, Feb 13, 2007
  6. ranger5250

snorbaard

Good point, VistaRocks.

I'd check whether the disc drive is actually working, because it looks like that may be the problem.

Are these games from original discs or copied. Reason I ask is because the security features in Vista don't play so well with some aspects of copy protection. I haven't heard of anything yet, but it isn't inconceivable that things like Starforce (which is used as copy protection for some games) may well be causing some errors.

snorbaard, Feb 14, 2007
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question