Can't import Outlook mesages to Vista Windows Mail from old computer

Discussion in 'General Technical' started by dickday, Apr 10, 2007.

1. dickday

dickday

I am switching to a new Vista box and plan on using Windows Mail. The message import option will only allow importing from Outlook if Outlook is installed on the Vista PC.

I exported the messages from Outlook on the old PC to a .pst file and it's sitting in the Vista Public folder but each time I try to Import it, the import process stops because Outlook is not installed on the Vista PC. My Outlook ispart ofOffice 2000 and does not seem to work in Vista, so using it is not an option.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Dick

dickday, Apr 10, 2007
    1. Advertisements

2. dickday

WAW8

I went through a similar process since I didn't want to have to buy Outlook 2007 just to have an MS mail client under Vista. In checking the MS forums, the only way to do the migration WITHOUT installing Outlook is to export your Outlook folders to Outlook Express. Windows Mail provides an import from Outlook Express, but not from the .PST files used in Outlook.

There's been a lot of complaining about this in the MS forums, but nothing has been said by MS to alleviate this problem. Why? Because they want you to purchase Outlook 2007 for $100+ instead of using Windows Mail for free.

WAW8, Apr 10, 2007
    1. Advertisements

3. dickday

dickday

I thought about that but decided that I must be doing something wrong. Even MS wouldn't do something so stupid. Or, so I thought :)

Thanks!

Dick

dickday, Apr 10, 2007
  4. dickday

WAW8

When I discovered that MS had removed Outlook from the Home&Student version, so they could then require purchasing a more expensive version, or buying Outlook by itself, that told me all I needed to know about what's driving MS to make packaging decisions.

So, when I also learned that they were not providing a way to import .PST files into Mail, it seemed like a logical extension of their Office packaging decision.

WAW8, Apr 10, 2007
  5. dickday

dickday

I just Imported Outlook messages into OE with no problem. I thought that one could export messages from OE into a format Mail would recognize. When I attempt to export from OE, the only options I get are to import BACK to Outlook or into Exchange!

Surely there must be a way, does anyone know of a 3rd party utility that would work?

Thanks,

Dick

dickday, Apr 10, 2007
  6. dickday

jmztaylor

I had the same problem but found a solution. I you can import your messages into outlook express and then drag and drop you emails from outlook express into a folder. The files will have a .eml extension. Windows mail will accept them if you drag and drop them from the folder into the program. I hope that makes sense.

jmztaylor, Apr 14, 2007
  7. dickday

aidema

That would be a good solution except the IE won't allow someone to install Outlook Express because IE 7 is a "newer version". This really pisses me off. I have so many emails stored in .pst files and yet there's nothing I can do... so it seems.

aidema, Jan 9, 2008
  8. dickday

TimeRanger

IF you can get the old HD into another computer (or actually use the computer that it is in) email those addresses to yourself....You may have to create another email account or use a secondary account to keep them from downloading immediately from the "send" computer. Do the same with any Favorites that you may want off of the old system

TimeRanger, Jan 10, 2008
  9. dickday

WAW8

Don't understand what you're saying here -- are you trying to install Outlook Express on Vista using IE?

Outlook Express needs to be on the XP box, then you copy the OE FILES to the Vista box.

Vista Help center includes a step-by-step tutorial entitled "Import messages into Windows Mail from Outlook Express". But to do this, you first have to import from Outlook into OE on the XP box. You then have to copy the entire OE folder, containing all the different .dbx files, to Vista and import them into Windows Mail.

WAW8, Jan 10, 2008
  10. dickday

william1111

The best way to do this is do download Dmailer sync it allows you to synchronzie all your email data from Outlook, Outlook Express and Windows Mail. Then you can restore that data to Outlook, Outlook Express or Windows Mail. You can even synchronize your files and internet Bookmarks or Favorites at the same time this is helpful if you are moving computer.

Using this software will not cost you because you can do this within the free 30 day trial period.

You can download it from:

www.dmailer.com

william1111, Feb 11, 2009
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question