cant get dual boot working

Discussion in 'General Technical' started by busta, Aug 16, 2007.

1. busta

busta

ok i have two hard drives, one scsi and one IDE ... got windows media center edition on scsi and rc1 build 5600 on IDE ... but always when i boot the computer it boots into vista rc1 and now that the expiry on it is over i have no idea how to get back to xp pro ...

one more thing in my bios i tried lots of boot from combos wont work except booting from scsi then the horizontal windows bar comes then finishes and it freezes on a black screen ... also oddly i cant boot from cd rom ... plz help

busta, Aug 16, 2007
    1. Advertisements

2. busta

AmericanNightmare

Just a thought here but have you made sure your IDE controller is enabled in BIOs? Try disabling the SCSI completly,contoller(SATA controller)and all then setting the boot priority to your IDE or optical drive. See if you can bootfrom either your IDE or optical from F11 as well after doing this. Where you dual-booting before i.e. running XP any time recently? Vista may have buggered your XPgrub loader when it died.

AmericanNightmare, Aug 16, 2007
    1. Advertisements

3. busta

WAW8

It doesn't sound like he's dual booting because he says the machine always boots into Vista.

When Vista loads, does it do anything? Or does it just drop into Reduced Functionality Mode -- in which you can do little other than open IE and purchase Vista?

The quick solution, presuming you have a CD of MCE, is to boot from that and restore the MBR that Vista overwrote when it installed.

WAW8, Aug 17, 2007
  4. busta

WAW8

My bad -- should have read the title better -- where is says that he is double booting ...

What surprises me is that no boot menu is displayed containing a list of OS's. When Vista is installed after XP, it automatically creates this boot menu. Even though Vista sets itself as the default OS, there is still the option in the boot menu to select XP.

So, is there a boot menu being displayed? Or does the machine boot directly into Vista without a menu?

WAW8, Aug 17, 2007
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question