Can't get AVI files to play at proper dimensions!

Discussion in 'Audio & Video' started by lemon, Mar 20, 2012.

1. lemon

lemon

My AVI files are playing in Windows Media Player, DivX, VLC, and Real Player all at some default dimension. The clips are vertically recorded and thusly at 1280 (height) by 720 (width), yet all these media players play them at some type of widescreen dimensions, and they are all squashed.

The same files play properly on Windows XP with the same version of Windows Media Player? The only thing I could find was on the VLC media player, the decoder was 4:2. But the DivX Codec is set to play at container aspect ratio (file dimensions), but when I resize the player to fit the screen, it goes back to the squashed widescreen dimensions. With the DivX player, I can set a customized ratio, but then the file won't play smoothly.

Is there a way to get Windows Media Player on Vista to use the proper file dimensions, and not this default widescreen dimension for AVI files?

I can't even uninstall Windows Media Player 11 to install an older version. I had read it is a more recent issue from an update.

lemon, Mar 20, 2012
    1. Advertisements

2. lemon

WAW8

Don't have a link, but folks have posted downloads of Windows Media Player Classic -- and older version that tends to actually work better than the newer ones. You'll need to Google for it, but it may solve your problems.

WAW8, Mar 21, 2012
    1. Advertisements

3. lemon

clifford_cooley

^^^+1 for WMP Classic

The arrow keys in WMP Classic will allow you to shrink or stretch the picture. You also have the option to change only Vertically or Horizontally.

I personally download K-lite Codec Pack which contains WMP Classic. The standard version would probably suite my needs but I always download the full version. There is also a 64-bit version for Windows 64-bit OS but I have yet to try it.

clifford_cooley, Mar 22, 2012
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question