can't copy .avi files

Discussion in 'Audio & Video' started by wonderkev, Mar 2, 2011.

1. wonderkev

wonderkev

I have a Toshiba Satellite laptop running Windows Vista Home Premium. I bought this computer less than two years ago, and haven't been able to play or copy all .avi files. I do have some .avi files on my computer that will play, which baffles me. I have some avi videos which are on a few cds, and the OS recognizes they are on the cd, but when I try to copy them over to my desktop I get the "error: 0x80070570: The file or directory is corrupted or unreadable." I tried cleaning my registry but that didn't help. I took the cds over to my friends house, and she was able to view the .avi files using her older XP pc. Is there anything I can do to copy these files over to my laptop. I was able to copy from cd and view these on my old laptop, which also had XP, but I no longer have that laptop.

Last edited: Mar 2, 2011
    wonderkev, Mar 2, 2011
    1. Advertisements

2. wonderkev

WAW8

Don't know about the copying, but viewing requires video codecs -- which are not installed automatically. Unfortunately, .avi is a general "container" for Windows video files and the actual video could be just about anything.

What you actually need is the FOURCC code embedded in the video -- to determine which video codec you need to install.

See the link below for info:

http://www.fourcc.org/

CLick on the Links on the left, and look through the Tools to extract Codec info on the right -- to download an app that will tell you the actual code.

WAW8, Mar 2, 2011
    1. Advertisements

3. wonderkev

wonderkev

The strange thing is, I'm able to copy other .avi vids from my cds to the laptop. And I am able to play them. Out of 12 cds, four cds have .avi vids that can't be copied. They are all the same brand cd with .avi files on them from using the same canon camera. I was sure these were somehow corrupt, but they play on older windows operating systems. Does it still sound like a codec problem?

wonderkev, Mar 2, 2011
  4. wonderkev

WAW8

Actually, no -- given that they were all created with the same camera, unless some really major post production work was done, they are almost certainly the same codec.

I've seen situations where otherwise valid avi files, when launched in VLC player, says the video has to be repaired first -- and it does the repair every time it is launched.

I haven't used WMP in such a long time, that I don't know whether or not it would have tried to repair the same videos.

Suggest you Google for and install the VLC player. It also supplied its own codecs.

WAW8, Mar 3, 2011
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question