cant connect to wireless network

Discussion in 'Networking & Internet' started by kv, Feb 23, 2007.

1. kv

kv

after installing vista home premium i can no longer connect to the wireless network. It worked fine with XP. Vista tells me there is a wireless network within range, the signal strength is good, i just cant connect to it. I thought first it was something to do with the windows firewall, but it didnt help disabling it. It's a "unsecured" network. I havent installed any drivers for my card yet (havent found any), but since the network showed up in windows, i guess the card is working? I have this card: http://www.smc.com/index.cfm?event=viewProduct&localeCode=EN_NOR&cid=5&pid=1451

Any ideas? :Whistling:

kv, Feb 23, 2007
    1. Advertisements

2. kv

Antrax

Do you get any messages when you try to connect? Oh..and welcome! :)

Antrax, Feb 23, 2007
    1. Advertisements

3. kv

Sucka

Is it showing as being "local only" or are you just able to see it, but it refuses to connect? What networking gear are you using? Can you connect hardlined?

Sucka, Feb 23, 2007
  4. kv

kingofnexus

Try going into the control panel, clicking on network and internet, thennetwork and sharing center.

Now in the left task pane select Diagnose and repair.

See what that says.

kingofnexus, Feb 23, 2007
  5. kv

kv

after clicking the diagnose thing it says; (translated from norwegian) the network is marked as hidden, and is either out of range, or the wireless setup for the machine doesnt match the network.

I tried moving the computer around a little but it didnt help. I dont really think its out of range cause i had it in the same spot with XP. Im writing this from my laptop, so atleast i know the network is up and running. I dont know what kind of router it is, only that its a 802.11b..

The router isnt mine, i just get to use this network for free.

The network shows up in the "available networks" window, and the signal strenght is 4 sometimes 5 bars..

kv, Feb 23, 2007
  6. kv

Antrax

If the router is not yours, did you set up the wireless connection when you had XP?

Antrax, Feb 23, 2007
  7. kv

Sucka

I hope you're not leeching internet from a neighbor :unsure:

Even with their permission, that's against the ISP TOS...

Sucka, Feb 23, 2007
  8. kv

kv

no im not. I have an apartment in someones basement, the houseowner lets me use the wireless network. I just cant connect to it with vista. In XP, in the list of available networks, I just doubleclick it and it connects.

kv, Feb 24, 2007
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question