Can't Connect to the internet! Hardware, Software problem?

Discussion in 'Networking & Internet' started by aav240sx, Aug 21, 2008.

1. aav240sx

aav240sx

Today I just reformatted my computer, which had xp and performed a clean install of vista ultimate onto my desktop. I was able to install vista relatively easily, but now I can't get my computer to connect to the internet or to even see the wireless network.

I have tried trouble shooting with vista, but it keeps telling me the problem is either my hardware not being connected properly or I need to install new drivers. I am positive my hardware is plugged in right and I've installed the software that came with the wireless card.

I've searched around for similar problems but haven't been able to find anything. So if there's any links on here that explains a solution to my problem please share! Thanks.

aav240sx, Aug 21, 2008
    1. Advertisements

2. aav240sx

aav240sx

Ok so I managed to get vista to recognize my wireless card and eventually allow me to log onto the internet, but only after I had reinstalled vista and then took my wireless card out and then inserted it into my other pci slot.

kthxbai:w00t:

aav240sx, Aug 23, 2008
    1. Advertisements

3. aav240sx

quasar

Excellent.

It used to be that PCI slot order mattered. The usual order was network card first (in the slot nearest the CPU), then the video card, then the other PCI cards. Not sure if that applies to your computer.

I was just thinking that I might look for a device driver update for that wireless card in Windows Update. If there is one, it's worth installing.

There might also be a device driver update on the web site of the manufacturer such as HP, or D-Link, etc....

If there are updates on both, I'd go with the one from Windows Update and skip the other one.

quasar, Aug 23, 2008
  4. aav240sx

WAW8

aav240sx:

Sorry to hear that you had to reinstall Vista to get it to do such a pathetically simple thing as recognize a wireless networking card!

Just curious -- when it did finally work, where did the working driver come from? Did it come from Windows Update? Or did it come from the card manufacturer?

WAW8, Aug 24, 2008
  5. aav240sx

aav240sx

Originally, I had my wireless card closest to my cpu (right underneath) then my video card below the wireless card, but I ended up having to switch the wireless card on the very bottom below my video card in order to get everything to work properly again.

When I was able to connect to my router, windows update just kicked in and updated everything. I didn't bother going to linksys looking for a new driver update.

I also did a quick search to even see if my wireless card was vista compatible to see if anybody else had noted similar complications and I read somewhere off google that other people had no problems with the wmp54g linksys wireless card & vista... so I guess I'm the only one haha.

aav240sx, Aug 26, 2008
  6. aav240sx

WAW8

I know that on some of the "older" motherboards, there was an IRQ problem if you inserted a PCI card into the PCI slot right next to the video card. Don't know if that's still the case with PCI Express slots and PCI slots, but it seems you have to separate the cards to get them to work.

WAW8, Aug 27, 2008
  7. aav240sx

aav240sx

Haha well I'd like to think my ASUS P5E LGA 775 Intel X38 ATX mobo is still some what new. I just think it's weird cause I ran xp with them next to each other fine, but when switching to vista, I have to have them separated.

aav240sx, Aug 27, 2008
  8. aav240sx

quasar

That is strange.

Let's see. Vista tweaked Plug-n-Play. Your config was OK in XP. Maybe as a result of Vista's PnP tweak, that same config wasn't OK in Vista. To me this sounds like a reasonable hypothesis.

New to Vista is support for PCI Express 1.1. Maybe one of the card slots was PCI Express 1.1, and suddenly with support for this, the hardware config had to change. That's less likely than the Plug-n-Play changes being the cause.

Vista has a new networking stack. Nevertheless, I wouldn't anticipate that the changes to the stack would force you to move a NIC to another slot. I think the stack changes would be abstracted from that level.

Wikipedia has a page on Vista's new technical features, such as the networking stack

If I'm on the right track, it may have been impossible to predict the problem in advance of experiencing it. You did a good job troubleshooting it. I appreciate the story.

quasar, Aug 29, 2008
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question