can't add network printer

Discussion in 'Networking & Internet' started by kenny_w, Apr 7, 2007.

1. kenny_w

kenny_w

I have 2 computers. One with xp 32 bit wired to the router with the printer (hp deskjet 5550) connected to the parallel port. It is a shared printer. The second computer is vista ultimate 64 bit with a wireless connection. I added the printer as a local printer to install the driver. I then added a network printer. It recognised the network printer but when I pressed next it tried to connect to the printer but gave a message the print manager is not correct. I also tried to right click on the local printer and in ports write the name of the computer and printer(\\computer name\printer name) but I got a message access is denied. I wrote to HP, I wrote to microsoft vista forum, nobody succeeded in helping. I'm trying here.

kenny_w, Apr 7, 2007
    1. Advertisements

2. kenny_w

kingofnexus

Try disabling any software firewalls on the computers, including windows's own.

kingofnexus, Apr 8, 2007
    1. Advertisements

3. kenny_w

kenny_w

Hi

I disabled the firewalls on both computers. It still gives a message wrong print manager.

kenny_w, Apr 9, 2007
  4. kenny_w

LogicAssault

try removing the local printer you added under vista, you should not need to do this. I have a HP 7350 installed on my XP machine and i have it added as a network printer on my Vista NoteBook. You might also want to turn on network discovery (if its off) while installing your printer, this may help you. Also make sure your XP machine is turned on. Are you sure you have the printer on the xp machine shared? or did you just enable file/printer sharing?

LogicAssault, Apr 19, 2007
  5. kenny_w

Walker

Make sure that you have permissions set up right otherwise it won't like you :)

Walker, Apr 20, 2007
  6. kenny_w

kenny_w

I finaly found the problem. I hooked the printer to the XP computer with a USB cable and not a parallel connection. I can print now.

kenny_w, Apr 29, 2007
  7. kenny_w

drmom5

I have the same issue. Network printers which installed fine under other OSes, not being able to install with Vista.

Good thing I kept Win98SE on my main computer. :)

Dr. Mom

drmom5, May 16, 2007
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question