Canon MX700 All-In-One Stops Scanning

Discussion in 'General Technical' started by joep42, Feb 4, 2008.

1. joep42

joep42

My Canon MX700 all-in-one worked perfectly connected via USB to my Vista Home Premium Gateway laptop. In mid December I downloaded and installed the 1st public beta of Vista SP1, and after several hours and several BSODs, I uninstalled SP1 beta and all was well again.

Sometime afterward, when I went to use the scan function, I got the message "Cannot communicate with scanner.....scanner is off.....not connected". Yet all other functions still worked (print, fax, copy).

I have spent hours (and days) with Canon support and you name it - we tried it - including downloading/installing the latest Intel Vista chipset drivers. The botom line - we can get the scanner to work again by simply deleting the MX700 drivers and reinstalling them. That is - until any one of the 2 events happen (which again results in the above disconnect message);

1. System is rebooted (warm or cold) or,

2.. MX700 is powered down

To get the scanner to work again, I go into device manager, delete the driver and reboot with the MX700 powered on. All the other devices and ports on my system work just fine.

Note: Letting my system go into Hibernate, then turning the printer/scanner off does not cause it to "diconnect".

Canon's senior techs can't figure it out so they are sending me another MX700. Somehow, I suspect this is a software problem - maybe related to Vista SP1 beta. Anyone else have this problem? Suggestions?

Thanks, JoeP

joep42, Feb 4, 2008
    1. Advertisements

2. joep42

WAW8

Wish I had a dollar for everyone who's system is flaky now that they've installed the Vista AP -- even after it's removal. This is why you don't install beta's (or RC's) on mainstream machines.

Your only recourse at this point is likely to be a system restore to a date before when you installed the SP1.

Sorry, but the SP removal doesn't appear to work as clean as it should.

WAW8, Feb 4, 2008
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question