Cannot run system restore HELP PLEASE!

Discussion in 'Recovery & Backup' started by logen726, Jul 26, 2011.

1. logen726

logen726

I have a Dell Vostro 1510 32bit. Intel core 2 CPU 3.0GB. Last week, I re-installed the operatng system - Vista because computer was runiing very slow and freezing up. Before the re-install, whenever I tried to do a system restore in safe mode and regular mode, I received the following error:

System restore did not complete successfully. Your computers system files and settings were not changed. Detail: an unspecified error occured during system restore.

After I re-installed Vista, I thought the problem, among other things, would be fixed. Just tried running system restore and got the same message. I removed Norton Security thinking that might be the casue. However, I'm using AVG 2011 (which I've used for several years) and could run system restore before the problem occured. I have read a lot of posts trying to see if anyone has a solution to the problem. By the way I just started using Carbonite back up. But I had the problem before using Carbonite. I don't have a whole lot of experience or technical background, so I've tried some fixes that I can do with my limited expertise :rolleyes:. I would appreciate any help to resolve this problem. Not being able to do system restore makes me nervous. If given step-by-step solution, I can follow. Thank you for any help you can provide.

logen726, Jul 26, 2011
    1. Advertisements

2. logen726

WAW8

I've personally found System Restore to be useless. Folks think it restores your machine to a previous state -- but it does not. All it does is overwrite newer versions of system files and the registry with older versions.

A much more useful, and reliable, method of backing up (and recoverying, if necessary) is to use a third-party tool like Acronis Backup and Recovery or Macrium Reflect.

WAW8, Jul 26, 2011
    1. Advertisements

3. logen726

logen726

Thank you

I read about Macrium in an earlier post and have downloaded it. Thank you for the advice. This is a big help, especially when I do something wrong.

logen726, Jul 26, 2011
  4. logen726

logen726

Thanks for the good advice. I read your reply in an earlier post. Will use Macrium.
    Thanks again.

logen726, Jul 26, 2011
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question