Cannot install Vista.

Discussion in 'Installation & Compatibility' started by Alfx, Mar 28, 2009.

1. Alfx

Alfx

I made a 200gig NTFS partition to install vista on.

Hardware:

Motherboard: PK5/EPU

CPU: Intel E8400

Graphic Card: Ati Radeon 4870

Ram: 2gig

HDD: Western digital 320 gig

Problem:

I put in the DVD, everything goes well and installs, then my computer restarts(which is normal)

Then when it comes back on it continues the installation...but when it gets to Finishing installation ...

It gets stuck there, I left it running for like 2 hours and it didn't do anything(the green bar at the bottom doesn't even move)

More information:

-I can install windows XP perfectly fine on that partition.

-For the heck of it I also tried install windows 7, which fully installed, but every time the OS starts, my computer reboots and inserting the window 7 install disk again gives me a blue screen of death.

How can I fix my computer so I can install Vista?

Alfx, Mar 28, 2009
    1. Advertisements

2. Alfx

WAW8

How is your machine setup in terms of partitions, specifically, what filesystem is the first partition?

I've only seen this problem on machines where folks are multibooting MS Windows and Linux, where they've formatted the first partition as Ext3 (for Linux), and when the MS Windows installer goes to finish and tries to write its bootloader files to the first partition, it fails -- because the first partition is not MS windows compatible filesystem.

Be advised that Vista (or Seven) WILL attempt to write its bootloader files to the first partition it sees.

WAW8, Mar 29, 2009
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question