Cannot install SP1

Discussion in 'Installation & Compatibility' started by nicthemighty, Mar 18, 2008.

1. nicthemighty

nicthemighty

SP1 is not appearing on Windows Update for me.

All I have available to update is KB937287, but I checked through the update history, and KB937287 was installed multiple times, and now just fails to install.

I've downloaded the standalone installed for KB937287 but that fails as well...

Any ideas on how I can fix this and get updates and SP1 working?

nicthemighty, Mar 18, 2008
    1. Advertisements

2. nicthemighty

WAW8

This KB is actually part of the SP1 prep stuff. I had similar problems with the same KB -- it failed and I was unable to fix it. It trashed my machine somehow and I had to go back weeks to recover from it. In my case, that was mid-February. Since I do weekly backups, I didn't lose much, but since there's no way to REMOVE this KB, a restore or reinstallation is your only option.

You should next be seeing KB940510 -- that's the "pirate catcher" KB.

The one after that should be the real SP 1, but I think that MS may have changed the order because KB940510 is no longer appearing as an update.

BTW, this post really belongs in the Technical Support forum, so I'll be moving it there.

WAW8, Mar 18, 2008
    1. Advertisements

3. nicthemighty

nicthemighty

I think my problems may stem from the same thing - when I updated mid feb Vista was trashed, and I had to restore many times. I just looked at the update history and it says that the problematic updates were installed in feb, but then reinstalled and failed each time I update.

For some reason, the earliest system restore point now is when I tried to use the SP1 standalone installer. So I am unable to restore the system.

Booting from the Upgrade disc allows me to repair, but it says there's nothing wrong with my installation.

However, I upgraded from XP media centre, so how would I reinstall Vista safely?

When installing updates, and click help on the error message, it is a WindowsUpdate_800B0100 error.

Standalone gives "An internal error occured... Error 0x800B0100... see http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=101139 for details".

nicthemighty, Mar 19, 2008
  4. nicthemighty

WAW8

OK bad news and good news. Bad news first ...

Without a restore point or a full backup, there's simply no way to "recover" Vista short of a complete reinstallation. This means that you will lose everything -- accounts, settings, files, programs, etc. You could soften the blow somewhat by doing two things.

First, back off all your files to external media. You'll at least get your data back. Then, back off all your settings to external media. The Backup and Restore center should have a selection for doing that.

Second, look into using Windows Easy Transfer Companion. It's designed to transfer settings, files, and programs from XP to Vista, and to migrate those to external media so you can import them to your clean Vista installation. It may also work in your case to restore your Vista installation. You'll need to Google for info -- it's an MS product, one that replaced Alohabob PC Relocator.

Good news ...

We have a post on repairing Windows Update. Try going through those steps. It may fix up your machine to the point that a reinstallation isn no longer necessary.

WAW8, Mar 19, 2008
  5. nicthemighty

nicthemighty

Looked at the reparing WU topic, but I don't have a pending.xml file to remove. Short of a miracle, how would I reinstall Vista from an Express Upgrade disc?

nicthemighty, Mar 19, 2008
  6. nicthemighty

WAW8

OK, since this is turning into an installation problem, I'm going to move this to the Updating/Installation forum. But if you look in there, you'll see we have a post about how to do a clean install using a Vista upgrade DVD. That should tell you what you need to know.

Also, you should check out the Windows Easy Transfer Companion -- to save off your programs and settings.

WAW8, Mar 19, 2008
  7. nicthemighty

WAW8

[Update]

Took the plunge and updated to Vista SP 1, and wouldn't you know it, already encountered the first of a new set of problems -- the standard system icons in the notification area have vanished. The settings panel that turns them on and off has them greyed out.

Fortunately, I am not alone in this, and was able to locate a post with instructions on how to restore these icons. See the sticky in this forum if this happened to you.

Oh, well ... This gives the MS folks something to include in their next Windows Update -- fixes to SP 1.

WAW8, Mar 19, 2008
  8. nicthemighty

nicthemighty

Fixed it - clean install from express upgrade disc, then upgrade install from inside new vista...

All my problems I had previously no longer exist! Must have been a problem when I upgraded XP to Vista...

Still no SP1 in updates though, but no one in my household has been offered it yet either.

nicthemighty, Mar 20, 2008
  9. nicthemighty

WAW8

You might NOT be offered it. Check my pinned post about reasons for NOT being offered SP 1. Mostly has to do with incompatible drivers.

WAW8, Mar 20, 2008
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question