Cannot Communicate with "www. microsoft. c o m"

Discussion in 'Networking & Internet' started by Champagne Star, Mar 16, 2012.

1. Champagne Star

Champagne Star

Starting Wednesday, March 14, my internet has been randomly going out so that I am only able to use the local connection. When I run the "Repair and Diagnose" for wireless connection, this message pops up as the problem: "Cannot communicate with w w w. microsoft. c o m (65.55.12.249)" (without the spacing in the Microsoft address). The fix option that comes up in the dialogue box is to reset my network adapter, which I do and am able to connect to the internet again. This has been happening once a day, everyday since Wednesday. I am using Vista Home Premium 32-bit, Service Pack 2 on a HP G60 Notebook. Also, I am not even trying to go to Microsoft's website; this happens when I am online in general, and I shut my computer down every night, if this would help. I'm not sure if this has anything to do with the problem, but I recently had an "Unidentified Network" error and applied this fix that I found through a Google search (which solved the network problem):
    1. Control Panel > Network and Sharking Center > Manage Network Connections > right click your Friendly Neighborhood Network Connection > Properties

2. Under the Networking Tab, uncheck Internet Protocol Version 6 (TCP/IPv6)

3. Exit the dialogs.

I'm wondering is there a permanent fix to this (it's really annoying and inconvenient to do this everyday), and could this be a problem with my computer (I've already had to dump my Dell laptop with Vista Home Basic because it stopped connecting), or a problem with my ISP.

Last edited: Mar 16, 2012
    Champagne Star, Mar 16, 2012
    1. Advertisements

2. Champagne Star

WAW8

IF you're getting redirected, that is, websites are appearing at random and you can't get to sites you enter, you likely have a rootkit infection.

Go to another PC, download the TDSSKiller from the Kaspersky site. Copy the file to the infect PC and run it. If it finds any rootkits, it will remove them.

WAW8, Mar 17, 2012
    1. Advertisements

3. Champagne Star

Champagne Star

Sorry, maybe I wasn't clear enough. This isn't a redirect problem. When I'm on the internet (even if I'm not actually going to websites, but just connected), my internet connection changes from "Local and Internet Access" to only "Local Access." When I click "Repair and Diagnose," a message pops up and says "Cannot communicate with w w w. microsoft. c o m (65.55.12.249)," and the solution is to reset my network adapter, which restores my internet connection. Also, there is something about my computer trying to "ping" Microsoft's website in the network diagnose message. This problem seems to only happen on weekdays too, since I didn't lose internet connection all this weekend.

My question is can this be fixed permanently so that I don't have to do this everyday, and is this a ISP problem (I'm using Comcast), or a computer problem (my computer specs are in the preceding post?

Champagne Star, Mar 18, 2012
  4. Champagne Star

WAW8

Sorry, don't have a solution. Since you can connect at all, it's not a hardware or drivers problem. Could be network load, since that's only during the week. But, there's no solution to that.

Also noticed you have an HP. Could be that the HP Tools diagnostic routines have detected that you need one or more Windows Updates and are then pinging MS to establish a connection. A relative has an HP machine running Win7, and we have found the HP tools to be a major annoyance.

If there is a way to disable (not remove) them, I would try that.

WAW8, Mar 19, 2012
  5. Champagne Star

Champagne Star

I haven't had this problem since about two weeks ago. I disabled a lot of programs (including the HP tools diagnostic) from starting when Windows starts, and I changed ISP, and since then my internet connection has been acting normally.

Champagne Star, Mar 30, 2012
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question