Cannot adjust volume from speaker icon or from Control Panel

Discussion in 'Audio & Video' started by Kodika, Nov 22, 2011.

1. Kodika

Kodika

I have been searching different forums where the speaker icon has disappeared from the notification area of the task bar, but have not found a solution to the particular problem I am experiencing. In my case the speaker icon is still visible but when I click on it, I no longer get the vertical bar which allows me to adjust the volume. I have made no recent changes to my computer and cannot understand why this has suddenly happened. I have gone to taskbar properties and tried turning the volume icon on and off but this has not cured the problem.

I have discovered the problem I am experiencing is limited to my user account only. I have one other named account and a guest account. The other user is able to adjust the volume from the speaker icon on the notification bar, and when I log into the guest account I find it is also working perfectly. However, when I log into my user acount it does not work. I have also tried adjusting the volume by going into Control Panel - Hardware and Sound - Sound - Adjust system volume but when I click on it nothing happens. However, when I go into the guest account I find I can adjust the volume from both the icon on the notification bar and by going through the Control Panel method.

I therefore suspect that my user account may have been corrupted in some way. I should stress that my problem is limited to my inability to adjust the volume in my user account. I do have sound, I just am unable to control it!

(I should add that I have run the Microsoft Security Scanner as I thought that my pc might have been infected with a virus but the scanner found no infected files).

I

Kodika, Nov 22, 2011
    1. Advertisements

2. Kodika

okayo0

A user account is just that. Its the account that in the computer.
    The profile is the collection of your preferences
    What are user profiles?
    If you are going to set up a new profile, you must change the existing User account or just make a new on.

okayo0, Dec 19, 2011
    1. Advertisements

3. Kodika

HastaLaVista1

Some Speaker Systems tell your PC that they now control the volume settings, so there is no need for system volume control, maybe you recently bought a new speaker system ?

HastaLaVista1, Apr 21, 2012
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question