Can you recommend a good security program (antivirus, etc.) for my Dell laptop?

Discussion in 'Security' started by storm, Apr 14, 2007.

1. storm

storm

I have a Dell Inspiron 1501 laptop that runs Vista. Can you recommend Norton Security or McAfee? Another one? Thank you.

storm

www.stoneageskills.com

storm, Apr 14, 2007
    1. Advertisements

2. storm

VistaRocks

I use AVG free version, works great i even use the free spyware scanner they have too. I never really liked McAfee or nortons very much.

VistaRocks, Apr 14, 2007
    1. Advertisements

3. storm

kingofnexus

Yeah free AVG is what i would recommend. If you really want the security of paying for one then Norton is good if you intend to renew your update licence in the future. McAfee is very good at irritating you as its a bit trigger happy at blocking things, however it wont bug you and mess up your computer as much when the update license expires.

On a side note I dont use any anti virus or software firewall on my computer and havent had a virus in years. (I scan my computer yearly).

kingofnexus, Apr 15, 2007
  4. storm

Walker

I like AVAST. It also features a nice vista skin you can download from the download section of this site. Anyhow i don't use a firewall because my router features one already. and then the extra one that vista has and then the resident scanner for avast so i don't need much more....

Walker, Apr 15, 2007
  5. storm

cyclic

I'm with <TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%"><TBODY><TR><TD class=SmallTxt width="80%"><DIV id=_ctl1_ctlTopic_ctlPanelBar_ctlTopicsRepeater__ctl3_smAuthorName_SimpleMenuDivLayer onmouseover="InstantASP_OpenMenuMouseOver('_ctl1_ctlTopic_ctlPanelBar_ctlTopicsRepeater__ctl3_smAuthorName','_ctl1_ctlTopic_ctlPanelBar_ctlTopicsRepeater__ctl3_smAuthorName_SimpleMenuDivLayer','<table width=100% class=PanelBar_OuterTable cellspacing=0 cellpadding=0><tr><td><table width=100% cellspacing=1 cellpadding=7><tr><td class=TableCell_Light>View Member\'s Profile</tr><tr><td class=TableCell_Light>Add to Buddy List</tr><tr><td class=TableCell_Light><a href=javascript:__doPostBack(\'butSendPrivateMessage\',\'468\'); onMouseOver=\'window.status=window.location;return true;\'; onMouseOut=window.status=\'\';return true; Class=\'SmlLinks\' Title=\'Send Private Message\'>Send Private Message</a></tr><tr><td class=TableCell_Light><a href=javascript:__doPostBack(\'butSendEmail\',\'468\'); onMouseOver=\'window.status=window.location;return true;\'; onMouseOut=window.status=\'\';return true; Class=\'SmlLinks\' Title=\'Send Email To Member\'>Send Email To Member</a></tr><tr><td class=TableCell_Light><a href=javascript:__doPostBack(\'butShowMemberPosts\',\'468\'); onMouseOver=\'window.status=window.location;return true;\'; onMouseOut=window.status=\'\';return true; Class=\'SmlLinks\' Title=\'Find All Member\s Posts\'>Find All Member\'s Posts</a></tr></td></tr></table></td></tr></table>','165px');" style="DISPLAY: inline" onclick="InstantASP_OpenMenu('_ctl1_ctlTopic_ctlPanelBar_ctlTopicsRepeater__ctl3_smAuthorName','_ctl1_ctlTopic_ctlPanelBar_ctlTopicsRepeater__ctl3_smAuthorName_SimpleMenuDivLayer','<table width=100% class=PanelBar_OuterTable cellspacing=0 cellpadding=0><tr><td><table width=100% cellspacing=1 cellpadding=7><tr><td class=TableCell_Light>View Member\'s Profile</tr><tr><td class=TableCell_Light>Add to Buddy List</tr><tr><td class=TableCell_Light><a href=javascript:__doPostBack(\'butSendPrivateMessage\',\'468\'); onMouseOver=\'window.status=window.location;return true;\'; onMouseOut=window.status=\'\';return true; Class=\'SmlLinks\' Title=\'Send Private Message\'>Send Private Message</a></tr><tr><td class=TableCell_Light><a href=javascript:__doPostBack(\'butSendEmail\',\'468\'); onMouseOver=\'window.status=window.location;return true;\'; onMouseOut=window.status=\'\';return true; Class=\'SmlLinks\' Title=\'Send Email To Member\'>Send Email To Member</a></tr><tr><td class=TableCell_Light><a href=javascript:__doPostBack(\'butShowMemberPosts\',\'468\'); onMouseOver=\'window.status=window.location;return true;\'; onMouseOut=window.status=\'\';return true; Class=\'SmlLinks\' Title=\'Find All Member\s Posts\'>Find All Member\'s Posts</a></tr></td></tr></table></td></tr></table>','165px');">kingofnexus</DIV><NOSCRIPT></NOSCRIPT></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

Can't beat it, I must have installed it hundreds of times and have many happy virus free 'puters in the community with contented users and that's gotta be good.

Just whilst on the subject some kind person has made a program that uninstalls ALL, yes ALL neferious works of those Symantec\Norton software hooligans

CLICKY

cyclic, Apr 16, 2007
  6. storm

la créme

I use bitdefender antivirus plus v10 and i haven't had any viruses or anything since I started using it a year ago. It came with 2 year free updates and was licenced for 2 PCs. Does't cost much either.

All Norton 2007 did for me was slow down my PC.

la créme, Apr 16, 2007
  7. storm

g2f

antivir guard is out on the 18apr for vista and its free...

g2f, Apr 16, 2007
  8. storm

Walker

Macafee dissapointed me. I was suppose to get a free version with my new motherboard but hell no. They wanted an email i didn't have....

Walker, Apr 18, 2007
  9. storm

cyclic

<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%"><TBODY><TR><TD class=SmallTxt width="80%"><DIV id=_ctl1_ctlTopic_ctlPanelBar_ctlTopicsRepeater__ctl6_smAuthorName_SimpleMenuDivLayer onmouseover="InstantASP_OpenMenuMouseOver('_ctl1_ctlTopic_ctlPanelBar_ctlTopicsRepeater__ctl6_smAuthorName','_ctl1_ctlTopic_ctlPanelBar_ctlTopicsRepeater__ctl6_smAuthorName_SimpleMenuDivLayer','<table width=100% class=PanelBar_OuterTable cellspacing=0 cellpadding=0><tr><td><table width=100% cellspacing=1 cellpadding=7><tr><td class=TableCell_Light>View Member\'s Profile</tr><tr><td class=TableCell_Light>Add to Buddy List</tr><tr><td class=TableCell_Light><a href=javascript:__doPostBack(\'butSendPrivateMessage\',\'2180\'); onMouseOver=\'window.status=window.location;return true;\'; onMouseOut=window.status=\'\';return true; Class=\'SmlLinks\' Title=\'Send Private Message\'>Send Private Message</a></tr><tr><td class=TableCell_Light><a href=javascript:__doPostBack(\'butSendEmail\',\'2180\'); onMouseOver=\'window.status=window.location;return true;\'; onMouseOut=window.status=\'\';return true; Class=\'SmlLinks\' Title=\'Send Email To Member\'>Send Email To Member</a></tr><tr><td class=TableCell_Light><a href=javascript:__doPostBack(\'butShowMemberPosts\',\'2180\'); onMouseOver=\'window.status=window.location;return true;\'; onMouseOut=window.status=\'\';return true; Class=\'SmlLinks\' Title=\'Find All Member\s Posts\'>Find All Member\'s Posts</a></tr></td></tr></table></td></tr></table>','165px');" style="DISPLAY: inline" onclick="InstantASP_OpenMenu('_ctl1_ctlTopic_ctlPanelBar_ctlTopicsRepeater__ctl6_smAuthorName','_ctl1_ctlTopic_ctlPanelBar_ctlTopicsRepeater__ctl6_smAuthorName_SimpleMenuDivLayer','<table width=100% class=PanelBar_OuterTable cellspacing=0 cellpadding=0><tr><td><table width=100% cellspacing=1 cellpadding=7><tr><td class=TableCell_Light>View Member\'s Profile</tr><tr><td class=TableCell_Light>Add to Buddy List</tr><tr><td class=TableCell_Light><a href=javascript:__doPostBack(\'butSendPrivateMessage\',\'2180\'); onMouseOver=\'window.status=window.location;return true;\'; onMouseOut=window.status=\'\';return true; Class=\'SmlLinks\' Title=\'Send Private Message\'>Send Private Message</a></tr><tr><td class=TableCell_Light><a href=javascript:__doPostBack(\'butSendEmail\',\'2180\'); onMouseOver=\'window.status=window.location;return true;\'; onMouseOut=window.status=\'\';return true; Class=\'SmlLinks\' Title=\'Send Email To Member\'>Send Email To Member</a></tr><tr><td class=TableCell_Light><a href=javascript:__doPostBack(\'butShowMemberPosts\',\'2180\'); onMouseOver=\'window.status=window.location;return true;\'; onMouseOut=window.status=\'\';return true; Class=\'SmlLinks\' Title=\'Find All Member\s Posts\'>Find All Member\'s Posts</a></tr></td></tr></table></td></tr></table>','165px');">la créme</DIV></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

That's lucky mostly it takes over the entire system and generally screws things up.

cyclic, Apr 18, 2007
  10. storm

storm

Thank you. I downloaded AVG...

storm, Apr 18, 2007
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question