Can not access WinXP Home Share folder from Vista (Wireless)

Discussion in 'Networking & Internet' started by estroked, May 30, 2007.

1. estroked

estroked

This is weir! :exclamation:

I have a WinXP Home PC (Wired) with some share folder and I have this Laptop with Vista Home Premium (Wireless) From the XP I can access all shared folder and printer on the Vista but from vista I can not access any share folder on the XP.

This is the weir thing, If I connect the laptop via wire I can access all XP share folder. jum! :crazy:

This is the error message that I receive when i try to connect via Wireless:

\\PCName\SHAREFOLDER is not acessible. You might not have permission to use this network resource. Contact ther administrator of this server to fnd out if you have access permissions.

The specified network name is no longer available.

Note:

Both are in the same workgroup.

both are using the same user and password .

both are in the same IP Range.

I tried using another XP Laptop (Wireless) and I could access the PCXP Share folder.

PLEASE HELP! :crazy:

estroked, May 30, 2007
    1. Advertisements

2. estroked

Wojman

Ok, first i'm going to go with the most obvious, make sure that the XP box is turned on, if that is already turned on, disregaurd, but i've had that problem, where i forgot that the computer isn't on the network.

If that is not the problem, i would check with your firewall, both on your XP, Vista box, and as well as yourrouters firewall,make sure thatthey are configured correctly. If that is still not the problem, then check the permissions of the folder by going to your Local Security Settings in your XP box.

Wojman, Jul 7, 2007
    1. Advertisements

3. estroked

Jason

I bet this will fix your problem. Does your XP machine have a user account w/ a password? If not go ahead and create one w/ a username and password. Then try connection to that machine again, it should prompt you for credentials and then you should get in. XP wants credentials since you do not have the share setup for "everyone" in the permissions.

Check here for more infor on setting the permissions on an XP share:

http://www.codeproject.com/useritem...p;forumid=325770&exp=0&select=1592216

Jason, Jul 9, 2007
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question