can i load vista on new system to sata drive w/o a floppy drive

Discussion in 'General Technical' started by jph1207, Feb 15, 2007.

1. jph1207

jph1207

i am building new pc and will be loading vista tomorrow ..i have a new gigabyte965g MB and a 320mb sata2 drive but i do not plan on installing a floppy drive.. iread that you need to create sata driver floppies when loading xp to sata drives but what about vista?...will vista load directly to my new sata drive if set up properly in the bios?

jph1207, Feb 15, 2007
    1. Advertisements

2. jph1207

BermudaLee

I had no trouble. The only thing I had to watch (as ever) is that as I have an IDE hard drive and a SATA one for some inexplicable reason the IDE is always defaulted to. My solution was pretty crude, I pulled the molex on it, and booted from the Vista DVD with a floppy and a SATA HD attached to my mobo. Worked a charm, found the drive and just did its thing. Once it was installed I plugged the molex back in the IDE drive, and that works too.

I don't recall even seeing an opportunity to load a third party drive a-la XP, but I wasn't looking for it eiher

Hope that helps

BermudaLee, Feb 15, 2007
    1. Advertisements

3. jph1207

jph1207

so you didnt need the floppy...new motherboard, new sata drive, full vista version (not upgrade) and it loaded fien onto sta drive (i wont have another ide drive so i shouldnt have the problem that caused you to pull the molex)

jph1207, Feb 15, 2007
  4. jph1207

jagjeetpradeep

There is no need to worry. Ive done it. If your drive doesnt show in the list of drives found to install vista. There is an option at the bottom saying Load Driver. Select that. Now, unlike windows versions till now, Vista isnt stuck only on Floppy Disks. It also supports CDROM & USB Drives. So it will be no problem for you to load the driver if Vista doesnt have it.

jagjeetpradeep, Feb 15, 2007
  5. jph1207

BermudaLee

It was an upgrade, but in my foolishness I had no idea that the upgrade didn't work like XP's. I reformatted all my drives (backed up my data) lobbed in the Vista Ultimate disk, and thought "oh dear" when it said I needed XP. I installed anyway without a keycode. That worked fine, then I went about resolving my upgrade woes (that is a long and tedious story irrelevant for this thread).

The only difference between us would be that I had already formatted the SATA drive. I have a floppy drive, but did not need it during this installation. All I used it for was to (foolishly) use FDISK to blank my drives, then FORMAT to format them. Thinking about it, I'm sure vista would have happily formatted the drive for me as part of its installation.

In summary - no I didn't need it.

Hope that helps.

BermudaLee, Feb 15, 2007
  6. jph1207

jph1207

how do i format the sata drive before loading vista? or will vista sk me too..i guess i can load the sata driver if needed from the mobo cd like you said?

jph1207, Feb 15, 2007
  7. jph1207

BermudaLee

Vista should ask you to. It will ask "Where do you want to install?" and format the drive for you. If it can't find the drive, then you'll need to do the driver CD trick. With a little luck, that won't happen.

Hope it all works for you - let us know.

BermudaLee, Feb 16, 2007
  8. jph1207

yllsen

I have an Maxtor IDE drive in which XP is installed, took out the drive and placed the WD SATA drive and installed Vista. After installing, I returned the IDE drive, configured BIOS into which driveI want to boot first and it's done. No sweat. XP and Vista just works finewith my configurations.

yllsen, Feb 16, 2007
  9. jph1207

kingofnexus

Floppy drives are a thing of the past! No you dont and will probably never use it.

kingofnexus, Feb 16, 2007
  10. jph1207

BermudaLee

JPH - how did the install go?

I'm hoping it worked well enough for you to tell us it's worked, if nothing else

UPDATE - IGNORE THIS POST

I've just seen the other thread and the random shutdown woes.

BermudaLee, Feb 18, 2007
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question