Can DEP be disabled?

Discussion in 'Installation & Compatibility' started by kosmic, Nov 27, 2007.

1. kosmic

kosmic

I've had my new Thinkpad with Vista Home Premium for two months, my first Vista machine. I disabled the UAC which drove me nuts asking for permission, but now DEP is making me crazy. First it killed my IE and I had to spend a lot of time figuring out how to make it work again. Then it said my Spyware Doctor had stopped working (like it did IE) and won't let me uninstall it (DEP stopped the uninstall from working too. Go figure). Then last night, it said the Symantec System Frame had stopped working and shut it down too. I had to install the new Norton 2008 to get it going again. We'll see how long that lasts.

Is there any way to disable this evil, controlling program that wants to run my computer for me? I'm about ready to downgrade to XP again.

kosmic, Nov 27, 2007
    1. Advertisements

2. kosmic

kingofnexus

DEP should only ever be seen when launching dodgy programs (I have yet to come across it personally). There is probably some sort of virus that has been propagating in your computer. Unfortunately, Norton antivirus is a far from good anti virus program, it doesn't do its job properly, causes more problems than virus's do,and takes up far more system resorces than is actually needed. Try downloading either Avast or AVG antivirus (both free), as these use far less resorces and can get rid of most virus's.

kingofnexus, Nov 27, 2007
    1. Advertisements

3. kosmic

WAW8

WAW8, Nov 28, 2007
  4. kosmic

kosmic

Avast found no viruses...and the DEP posts are scary...The latest Vista happenings are IE stopped responding (had to be restarted), then an automatic update wouldn't install due to an error (I followed the instructions to fix that but haven't tried installing any more as yet). Then this morning, it said my Ethernet Controller Driver wasn't installed. Huh? The laptop is offline and it can't find the driver (no connection available right now). I'm going to try uninstalling Norton since Avast is on there now.

Any suggestions on what is causing all this weird stuff and how to fix it?

kosmic, Nov 29, 2007
  5. kosmic

cyclic

What we have here is a perfect description of Norton which if you search for problems with it you will find this is not just my opinion but one shared with a very large part of the Tech. community. It is the single most notorious 'take overware' ever created.

I wouldn't be surprised to learn that if you removed it entirely you would find DEP problems wouldn't appear again.

There may be other reasons but I wouldn't suggest trying anything whilst Norton is still interfering with your system.

cyclic, Nov 29, 2007
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question