Can anyone answer this question about upgrading Vista?

Discussion in 'General Technical' started by RayKinStL, May 28, 2008.

1. RayKinStL

RayKinStL

Hi,

I am purchasing a new Dell system that is coming in a week. I have 4 gigs of the RAM in the system, but that will be worthless unless I get the 64 bit version of Vista. Dell currently ONLY offers the 32 bit version for installation. Does anyone know the cost or how I would go about upgrading my 32 bit version to a 64 bit version? I thought I remember hearing something about like a 10$ fee or something, but I am not really sure. I searched Microsoft's site but could not find any answers. Obviously purchasing a full 64 bit version is out of the question, as that would be a total waste of money just to utilize 1 more Gig of RAM. So does anyone know the cost or process involved in upgrading your 32 bit version to a 64 bit version? Any help is appreciated!

Ray

RayKinStL, May 28, 2008
    1. Advertisements

2. RayKinStL

WAW8

Don't know where you heard about "upgrading" from 32-bit to 64-bit -- but that information is wrong! There is no upgrade path between the two versions that allows you to retain what you have installed.

If you want to try manually "upgrading", downloan Windows Easy Transfer Companion from MS, run it in Vista, and save the results off-line to a file. Then, when you wipe your machine in install the 64-bit Vista, you may be able to import the stuff back. The settings and files will most probably work, but I don't know about the apps.

WAW8, May 29, 2008
    1. Advertisements

3. RayKinStL

RayKinStL

Im talking about upgrading in terms of actually acquiring the 64 bit version. In other words, if Dell gives me the 32 bit version, isn't there some process for getting the 64 bit version cheap? I certainly don't have to buy a retail 64 bit version. I know an install will require me to wipe everything clean and that is fine, but I need to know how to actually get my hands on the 64 bit version. As I said before, I read somewhere once (dont remember where) about some 10$ fee to get a 64 bit version CD/DVD to replace the 32 bit one (using the same product key I would assume). I can not find this information again though so I am unsure and I couldn't find anything at M$ site. Anyone know anything?

RayKinStL, May 29, 2008
  4. RayKinStL

WAW8

The only "cheap" upgrade I've heard about is really not that, it was the ability to obtain a Windows Anytime Upgrade CD for about $5. But that was primarily for folks to use to boot their machines when they didn't come with any CD/DVD Vista media.

As to obtaining a 64-bit upgrade, unless Dell offers a discounted version, you're only option would be to hunt around for an OEM upgrade version. Even then, you're talking major $ (like around $200 or so for an Ultimate version).

Additionally, the "upgrade" versions look for an existing Windows OS when they install, so if you wipe your drive and then try to install, they probably won't work. We do have a post on our forum about a roundabout method that has been used in the past to upgrade twice using an "upgrade" DVD. That might still work.

WAW8, May 30, 2008
  5. RayKinStL

Jordus

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsvista/1033/ordermedia/default.mspx

Go to this site and enter your 32-bit key into the box, and you should be able to purchase the installation media for around 10$ for the 64-bit version of Vista.

Im not 100% sure on the OEM licenses, but i know the Retail licenses work with either 32 or 64 bit media, but only Ultimate ships with both versions on one disc...otherwise it has to be specially acquired from MS or a retailer.

Jordus, Jun 3, 2008
  6. RayKinStL

WAW8

Basically, since you already paid for one version, MS is willing to sell you the other version for a few dollars -- understanding that you have only one license key, and can install only one of the two versions.

But that's just installation media. It still will not "upgrade" an installed 32-bit system to 64-bit.

WAW8, Jun 3, 2008
  7. RayKinStL

Jordus

You are right in that he will have to freshly install the 64 bit media.

Although i gathered from his post that he was simply wanting to obtain the 64 bit software first, and you nor anyone else pointed out the alternate media order page that i linked too.;)

Jordus, Jun 3, 2008
  8. RayKinStL

WAW8

Look ... He said clearly in his post, twice in fact, that he wanted to UPGRADE his existing 32-bit installation to 64-bit and thought he could buy a CD/DVD for a few dollars that would allow him to do that. He also said that purchasing a 64-bit version would be a waste of money.

Granted, $10 is not a BIG waste of money, but if he can't do the upgrade that we wants, why even spend that?

Anyway ... thanks for the link to the MS site.

WAW8, Jun 4, 2008
  9. RayKinStL

Alejandrosv

I'm really not sure about this, haven't tried myself, but i think i remember reading somewhere about sp1 correcting the 3gb ram issue. not sure though. does anybody have a 4gb system that shows 4gb in the computer properties?

Alejandrosv, Jun 4, 2008
  10. RayKinStL

Jordus

He wanted to install 64 bit and said that buying a FULL license at cost would be a waste.

10$ to cover the shipping of a CD is hardly that much of a pain.

And no, there is no upgrade path for 64 bit, but he can INSTALL it with his same current key. :hehe:

Jordus, Jun 4, 2008
  11. RayKinStL

Jordus

post SP1 32bit vista will show that 4GB is physically installed but it will not utilize any more than it did pre-SP1

This is a limitation of 32-bit architecture, nothing anyone can do other than get a 64 bit OS.

Jordus, Jun 4, 2008
  12. RayKinStL

kingofnexus

There's nothing to correct. The reason 32 bit windows can use only 4gb is because 32bits only has enough numbers for 4gb in total. GPU RAM and Cache's eat into the available address space, windows reports the amount it can use in the RAM, which is usuallt around 3.5GB for people with 1 512mb GPU, but obviously SLI/Crossfire and 720/1024MB GPU's will usually only allow for 3GB or less for windows to use as RAM.

kingofnexus, Jun 4, 2008
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question