C Drive Free Space not match with actual File Size

Discussion in 'General Technical' started by wuming79, Jun 9, 2011.

1. wuming79

wuming79

Hi,

I'm on Vista Basic. Recently I noticed that my C drive has only 5GB free space. My total space for C is 100GB. But the weird thing is if I select all the files and folders in C, including hidden items, my total size used is only 24GB.

Does anyone knows what could be the cause of this unusual taking up of disk space??

wuming79, Jun 9, 2011
    1. Advertisements

2. wuming79

WAW8

How did you determine that amount of free space? Using the Disk Management utility?

Are you sure you included things like the hibernation file and page file?

You could use Drive Cleanup to remove files from your drive to get more free space.

WAW8, Jun 9, 2011
    1. Advertisements

3. wuming79

wuming79

Hi, I have attached 3 print screen of what I see here. I can't post pictures here as my post count doe snot allow me to do so.

First is from my computer which shows I have about 2.93GB left today (worse than yesterday)
    Then I go into my C drive, do a ctrl+A to select all files and go to properties to check the total disk space which shows only about 13GB.

I have unhide all hidden and system files. Hibernation file and page file were included in the check. Disk Cleanup has been done before the print screen today. Scanned for virus and results is no virus found.

Attached Files:

wuming79, Jun 10, 2011
  4. wuming79

wuming79

hi, anyone experience this before?

wuming79, Jun 13, 2011
  5. wuming79

tonymaycpa

Had similar "issue"

I had been trying to figure the same thing out myself.

Though I may not have figured out all of it, I have figured out some of it. When looking at the C drive in My Computer you have that dismally low space, this counts the System Restore allocation. When you select all files within the C drive and see only 13 GB used, this does NOT include the System Restore allocation.

On my computer this did not account for all of the difference but it did account for about half of it. I suspect there are other allocations as well but not sure what others ones to look at.

Let me know if you find any more allocations like this.

Tony

tonymaycpa, Jul 11, 2011
  6. wuming79

wuming79

Hi,

My free space now is 205MB. I'm not sure what took up the space. I hope someone can help me unlock this mystery....before I whack the notebook up...

wuming79, Jul 12, 2011
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question