Building new Pc and....

Discussion in 'Installation & Compatibility' started by Metalhead11t6, Mar 5, 2011.

1. Metalhead11t6

Metalhead11t6

Well, it's my first actual build and I was wondering can i use my existing Vista product key?

I'm pretty sure I can but, I don't have discs. I can get my product key via a program if I don't know it and all but I need a copy of windows. Is it possible to pirate it and burn it to a disc and use my product key to activate it on the new HDD?

Alternatively, can i somehow run it off my recovery partition and reinstall that way off my old HDD?

Any input is appreciated.

Metalhead11t6, Mar 5, 2011
    1. Advertisements

2. Metalhead11t6

clifford_cooley

Hi Metalhead11t6 - Welcome to vistaforums

If you have an OEM install of Windows, this version cannot be transfered to a new system. You said you do not have media, so this leads me to think you have an OEM version. The retail version can be transfered to a new system.

You ask about pirating a disk, its not pirating if you have a legit key to use. It's only pirating when you are trying to activate without a proper key. I will warn you though that many of the sources for install media are contaminated with viruses, so be careful.

I will also mention, helping someone pirate software will not be allowed on the forum.

clifford_cooley, Mar 5, 2011
    1. Advertisements

3. Metalhead11t6

WAW8

To add what Clifford has already told you ...

While there are apps that will allow you to extract the key from your current OEM install, what you will discover, after you install to a different PC, is that when you attempt to use that key to activate the new PC, it will fail -- with an error message to the extent that it is already in use.

With a retail key, if it does this, you can contact MS and they'll help you "fix" that.

With an OEM key, they will refuse to help you, because basically, YOU do not "own" the OEM key -- the system builder does.

WAW8, Mar 5, 2011
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question