build 5308 32bit, Hard disk failing to POST

Discussion in 'General Technical' started by darren9075, Mar 7, 2006.

1. darren9075

darren9075

Evening guys,

This problem has coursed me some serious issues, and im currently at a loss.

This is what happened, i installed 5308 on a fresh clean hard disk that has no previous errors and by all accounts is in a good working order. I ran the install from the DVD drive during boot, then carried out a full new install on to the clean disk, The install process proceded with out error, however the installer finished copying data to the hard drive and started its reboot sequence. at this point my computer fails to boot. Im not talking about corrupt boot sectors im talking about serious issue thats stopping my compter from finishing its POST.

i am unable to access the BIOS, i am unable to change the boot order using the built in boot selector program.

The POST sequence gets up to detecting the IDE drives, it then tells me the name and model number of the connected drives and tells me SMART is active and ok, at this point the system fails POST with no error messages.

If i disconnect the drive in question the system will post correctly and will boot to my other SATA drives.

I have tried new cables, i have tried changing drive between master and slave, and primary and secondery controlers.

I tried resetting the BIOS to defaults

I assumed at this point the drive simply failed and tried the whole install again with another IDE drive.

The same error accured again, exactly the same settings and exactly the same problem.

This has left me with two 120GB IDE drives that are nothing more than paper weights and hand warmers.

i am reluctant to try this again on my SATA drives incase it happens again.

In my mind it looks like the install process added something to the firmware on the hard disk its self, this change was not supported by my hardware config and thus the system fails. I have yet to try the hard drives on another PC to confirm this.

If anyone has any ideas what has happened please feel free to voice your opinions.

If this was because vista installed or amended the firmware, i would be very intrested as to know why and to what end they will go.

I have installed older builds of vista 32 bit and 64 bit, with out issue on the same hardware config.

something is up my friends!

darren9075, Mar 7, 2006
    1. Advertisements

2. darren9075

Synapse

I had the same problem, and have come to the conclusion it was a combonation of two things:

The install didn't like my secondary Western Digital 120 GB ATA HDD

and

It didn't like my ATI Radeon 9200 Video Card very much (Artifacting)

It would boot with the vid card, but to get the OS to install you need to disconnect all devices unneeded (All DVD Drive/CD Drives but one, all HDDs, but one, etc) and install then on the reboot after installation (And after booting once into the os) You re-add the devices, one by one.

Synapse, Mar 7, 2006
    1. Advertisements

3. darren9075

Jason

Can't you just put in or boot off one of your other drives, and then format the two corrupt drives. Then try again or use the method above to boot it.

Jason, Mar 7, 2006
  4. darren9075

darren9075

i'll try disabling my SATA drives and disconecting my optical drives tomorrow morning but i fail to see how that will work.

Was you able to get your hard drives working again after it went pear shapped?

As i mentioned already i am unable to get past the POST, which means there is no way of connecting the drives after i boot to another disk since IDE isnt hot swappable. It may be possible to use a USB to IDE adapter but i currently do not have one to hand.

And whats more, i have installed many previous builds to both drives without error in the past, it is only the latest build that has had such serious issues.

darren9075, Mar 7, 2006
  5. darren9075

Synapse

No, I mean, disconnect everything, install, and after everything is TOTOALLY installed, and you did one boot to Vista, and shut down, hook your stuff back up, and turn the computer on.

Mine work fine now in Vista 5308

Synapse, Mar 7, 2006
  6. darren9075

darren9075

im unable to install to both those IDE drives because it fails to post. i assume you mean install using your method on another disk, then reboot and add drives one at a time? im not thrilled at trying this option at the moment for obvious reasons!

Intrestingly enough, i dug out an old PCI IDE controler, this is allowing me to boot with the dead drives connected, and i can infact boot to them as well, the only real side effect is vista stopping its boot process, but this should be quite easy to fix. But at least they are not paper weights!

I am still very intrested in what vista has changed on my firmware to stop my motherboard IDE controler from detecting it properly, as i said, with exactly the same setup i was able to install a number of different builds of vista..... it just so happens that what ever has changed or added in this build could have made the drive incompatable with verious hardware. Could this be a ploy at stopping pirates? if they can "mark" hardware during the install process, it might make things very hard to get around, or might it be something to do with DRM, and more importantly from my point of view, if i un-installed that OS can MS track exactly where that hard drive is and what its doing?....course that perhaps quite unlikely but i dont see a reason they couldnt do it!

darren9075, Mar 8, 2006
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question