BSOD on Vista but not on XP (Dual-boot laptop)

Discussion in 'General Technical' started by MegaShark, Jan 16, 2009.

1. MegaShark

MegaShark

Hi guys!

I'm currently running Vista SP1 Home Premium 32 bits on my laptop, dual-booting with XP Professional SP2. More frequent than not, I get random BSODs while starting, running or even shutting down Vista, while on XP everything appears to be just fine (I run XP for about half the times and Vista the other half, and RAM loads are roughly the same on both OSes).

So, I would have to exclude hardware from causing these BSODs, since everything appears to be fine on XP... Drivers would be another likely cause, but these BSODs have different messages on them (and not always mentioning drivers) so I'm kinda clueless here... Here are some of the messages on the BSOD text:

Memory Management

Bad Pool Caller

IRQL Not less or equal

Page Fault in nonpaged area

Windows "Checks for solution" after a restart but, as usual, it doesn't find any...

Can you help me out? I can post logs or something if necessary.

Thanks in advance!

MegaShark, Jan 16, 2009
    1. Advertisements

2. MegaShark

WAW8

Did you go through our Fixing BSOD Errors pinned post?

My guess, based on your errors, is that it's a memory problem basically because Vista uses more memory than XP. So, it's possible that Vista is routinely using higher memory addresses, and encountering errors, that XP is not using.

Boot from the DVD and select the memory checking.

Or if you don't want to do that, download and burn an Ubuntu LiveCD, boot from it, and run the memtest selection from the menu.

WAW8, Jan 17, 2009
    1. Advertisements

3. MegaShark

MegaShark

I did follow the BSOD guide and I also suspected RAM failures; nevertheless, it doesn't make much sense for XP not to crash since I run it with a bunch of high-load processes and during a significant part of the day - no problems whatsoever in XP but a bunch of BSODs in Vista even if I run it for a few minutes only.

Should I just assume Vista is less stable on RAM issues? Could it be that any other non-hardware issue is causing these BSODs?

Thanks.

MegaShark, Jan 19, 2009
  4. MegaShark

WAW8

Vista and XP manage memory differently -- which is why memory could fail in Vista but not in XP.

It's still worth doing a memory check -- which you can do booting from a Vista DVD or from a Linux LiveCD.

And, yes, it most certainly could be hardware drivers, since, depending on the device, the driver is likely to be anything from slightly different (e.g., printers), to almost completely different (e.g., WDDM video, multi-channel audio).

Sorry, but we don't have the resources here to do log troubleshooting -- which is why we provides the how-to guides in our forums.

WAW8, Jan 20, 2009
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question