BSOD and Unknown Process

Discussion in 'General Technical' started by TA283, Oct 29, 2012.

1. TA283

TA283

My boyfriend's computer is running Windows Vista Ultimate Service Pack 2 32-bit and can only run it in Safe Mode because of the BSOD "IRQL not less or equal". He has no recovery disk and no recovery points on the computer. Everywhere I read says it's because of drivers, and says uninstall this and uninstall that, etc.

Neither of us know what could have been installed to cause this problem. It was over a year ago and even then we didn't know what had been installed. The other thing that was unusual was every time we try signing into regular mode, it loads up just fine but then Installer/Install Wizard [like when you go to install a game or new software] pops up and says "Preparing to install." It doesn't say WHAT it is trying to install and as soon as the Installer appears, that's when the computer crashes and the BSOD appears. The installer doesn't appear in Safe Mode, so I'm tempted to believe that it's the Installer somehow causing the BSOD.

What can I do to find out EXACTLY what is crashing his computer?

I tried installing Avast! antivirus and running a full scan, but it told me that some of the registry files or whatever were viruses, and when I quarantined them, it messed up the computer even more, so I put them back and uninstalled Avast!.

I opened the System Properties to set the default system and it's already on Vista, but it says "Windows Vista (TM) Ultimate (recovered)". How can it be recovered if there are no recovery points? And Windows Explorer doesn't work in Safe Mode. I can't use Run because it's acting like it can't find the Accessories folder in Programs. I can't even use Search from the Start menu.

I opened Task Manager trying to see if I could find what's wrong with Windows Explorer and one of the processes is 3822703580:590095900.exe [the description is 590095900.exe] and apparently search engines can't find anything related to it. I clicked Go To Service and it won't even show me what the Service is for it. I right clicked Properties and Windows can't find that file, it tells me to make sure I typed the name correctly. It's under User Name SYSTEM so I'm not sure what's going on.

TA283, Oct 29, 2012
    1. Advertisements

2. TA283

TA283

In Task Manager I ended the Process explorer.exe and restarted it, and now Windows Explorer is working again. I can not end the unknown Process and Task Manager, in the error message, is telling me that that .exe is supposed to be in C:\Windows... I take it that is not a good sign. There IS, however, a file in C:\Windows called 3822703580. I don't know what kind of file it's supposed to be, and it says the size is 0 bytes, with a Size On Disk of 4 KB. Is there any reason I shouldn't delete this file?

Last edited: Oct 29, 2012
    TA283, Oct 29, 2012
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question