BSOD after Nforce 4 Driver install

Discussion in 'Installation & Compatibility' started by Tulip, Jun 4, 2007.

1. Tulip

Tulip

Im having all manner of problems installing Vista Ultimate 64 bit on a Sata 0 Array. Im using :-

Gigabyte GA-K8NXP-9 motherboard with Bios F5

AMD 4600+ dual core

2 Western Digital WD740 Raptor HDDs.

For a start there are no Vista drivers, 64bit or otherwise, on the Gigabyte website for this motherboard. It uses the Nforce 4 chipset though, and there are 64 bit drivers on the Nvidia website which I have downloaded.

When the install gets to the "Where do you want to install Windows?" it sees the Sata array as 2 separate drives. I have extracted the Nforce 4 drivers onto a USB drive, and can get the install to see the Sata array as one single drive by pointing it to a driver in the sata_ide directory of the extracted files. Vista will then install.

HOWEVER! Additional non-RAIDED Sata drives are not detected by Vista when they are plugged in, even though they are detected in the BIOS. When I install the Nforce4 drivers onto the newly installed Vista, I get a BSOD on restart with a STOP: 0x0000007B message.

Ive tried moving the SATA drives onto different SATA headers with the same result. Any other ideas?

Cheers.

Tulip, Jun 4, 2007
    1. Advertisements

2. Tulip

cyclic

When installing Nvidia drivers from the USB drive (or wherever) you must install both drivers during setup of the OS, both the RAID class driver and IDE driver, they should be in the same directory when you extract the downloaded nvidia driver, if you open the txtsetup.oem file (notepad will do it ) you will see the instruction

RAIDCLASS = "NVIDIA RAID CLASS DRIVER (required)"
    BUSDRV = "NVIDIA nForce Storage Controller (required)"

The message to this effect will only show if you copy the complete directory, if you install the driver using the .inf file you wont be made aware of this, both need to be stored in the oem directory of the OS and when one only is installed trying to install the other will, for reasons best known to Nvidia and not me, cause a fatal error and STOP message.

cyclic, Jun 5, 2007
    1. Advertisements

3. Tulip

WAW8

If you haven't already, suggest you check out the nForce board at the following:

http://www.nforcershq.com/forum/

Look in the sections for nForce drivers and nForce 4 boards. You'll see a lot of postings dealing with raid-related issues and how they were resolved. You'll also see some postings containing newer versions of the Nvidia drivers that have not been released by Nvidia yet.

WAW8, Jun 6, 2007
  4. Tulip

Tulip

Excellent diagnosis there, you were correct - I had only installed one of the drivers in the initial installation. Both drivers were needed to avoid the blue screen.

I posted a similar question to the Gigabyte tech support and I thought you would be interested in the reply...

Helpful, huh. I'm amazed that they can pretty much say, no, dont bother, it wont work. This board was bought new less than 2 years ago, and it was one of their top line products. Incredible that they would drop support for it so quickly, especially when the chipset manufactures actually have produced Vista 64 bit drivers for it. I can corfirm that it does work with Vista using RAID 0, and it scores a rating of 4.6, which is quite adequate. I can guarantee when I do upgrade my system next, I wont be using Gigabyte products.

Tulip, Jun 9, 2007
  5. Tulip

WAW8

Not to defend Gigabyte, but the other mobo suppliers have done much the same thing -- abandoned large segments of their customers into supporting Vista on their own. I've uses ASUS boards for over ten years, and was disgusted to learn that they were not supporting the A8N32-SLI Deluxe, once the "flagship" of their line. Don't know for certain, but wouldn't be surprised if MSI, FoxConn, LanParty, and others did the same thing. I don't know what Intel has done, haven't bought their boards because they have historically not supported overclocking.

Next time, though, I will wait until well after the newest MS OS is released before upgrading. Let someone else be the guinea pig next time <G>.

WAW8, Jun 11, 2007
  6. Tulip

Tulip

Wow, very disappointing. I thought that by spending the extra $$$'s for a higher end board I could expect some extra support and longer product life. Not so it seems. I now know 2 manufacturers not to buy from in the future.

Once cyclic had told me what I was doing wrong, it really wasnt that difficult (Im typing this now on the system in question) Why couldn't the manufacturers have instructions along the same lines on their own sites? Sure, they want to make more sales by forcing upgrades, but wont this piss off just as many people?

Does anyone out there have a mb manufacturer they can recommend who dont immediately drop support for their products as soon as a new OS pops up?

Funnily enough, on the website that WAW8 recommended (thanks for that link by the way, very helpful site)

http://www.nforcershq.com/forum/

it appears that the only manufacturer so far who has done anything extra with the Vista NForce4 drivers for their own products is Dell...

Tulip, Jun 11, 2007
  7. Tulip

cyclic

I'm glad you got it sorted, but your other question about Mobo support I have alway found it almost a myth that it actually exists, basically if it's not in their FAQs on their website you're wasting your time trying to talk to a supposed 'Tech' type, they do have them and they're very knowledgeable but they don't answer the phones, the people who do have flow diagrams in front of them which if the question doesn't fit one they've got they just give you 'waffle'.

Happily there are always sites like this one around where you can usually find someone who knows what they're doing and can help you out.

cyclic, Jun 12, 2007
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question