Britannica Deluxe 2007?

Discussion in 'Installation & Compatibility' started by MacMorrighan, Jan 9, 2009.

1. MacMorrighan

MacMorrighan

Hey guys, I'm a desperate newbie:

Long story, short--I'm going (well, trying to, anyway) from my old DELL model installed with Windows ME (it's gotten insufferably slow, and I no longer seem able to access MS Word...and, that sucks, 'cause I'm working on a book!)to a new 530S (the cheapest home-model they have, at $300!), with Vista Home Basic (the only version I can afford, apparently, with $500). Of course, I also need a modem (only hve a dial-up connection, due to finances), a CD-burner (for burning music and book chapters!), a DVD burning (for watching/burning DVDs, if I can, albeit Movie Maker and DVD Maker are not a part of Vista Basic), and an Intel Celeron Processor (the only one I can afford, although I also want to make some personal videos to eventually post on-line after editing them). But, I digress...

In my zeal, I picked up a copy of the Encyclopedia Britannica 2007 Deluxe, for research purposes, when I thought that I was going to be able to get a new PC (all I need is a tower, 'cause I've got a monitor, keyboard/mouse and all-in-one printer!) that I could easily buy installed with XP! Little did I know that, rather ironically, getting an older MS OS installed on a tower would actually be MOPRE expensive than getting vista. So, I'm now wondering if my Britannica software is going to be compatible with Vista Home Basic! I've heard conflicting views:

According to some forums posted back in early 2007, it's incompatible; but according to microsoft.com, it's compatible! Yet...the image of the software is different, albeit titledd the same, than the one I'm holding in my hand: the box and jewel case are bright red-to-orange, while the one on the MS site is green. So, the natural assumption worth advancing, perhaps, is that Britannica may not have originally been compatible, but the Vista I may be getting (unless I am wrong, of course!) is more up-to-date to ensure that '07 ware, such as Britannica, is actually compatible.

Anyone have any answer?

Take Care,

Wade

MacMorrighan, Jan 9, 2009
    1. Advertisements

2. MacMorrighan

WAW8

If you would have looked through our pinned posts in this forum, you would have seen a link to an MS site where you can check the various versions of Encyclopedia Brittanica for compatibility with Vista. They show the different boxes, and compatibility does vary by version.

WAW8, Jan 10, 2009
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question