Bringing Things Back to Normal

Discussion in 'Installation & Compatibility' started by Meteora, Oct 3, 2009.

1. Meteora

Meteora

I have gotten a little fed up with my Dell Inspiron laptop. Basically what I have been doing in the past couple of days was try to get the PC as how it was when it was first bought, because my brother had been using it for a while and I wasn't sure what he deleted or didn't delete and whether or not my computer was how it really should be. I also have installed AOL Explorer (my personal favorite browser) on vista and it either sucks butt on vista or I was just pretty damn unlucky with it. Not only could I make it my default browser but it would not even open up after installing (sometimes, because I installed and uninstalled it many times due to it being a nuisance) it and it is a pain to uninstall, because even when you "uninstall" it, it still has many files left on your computer and for some reason I thought it installed files that were not even in the AOL Explorer program folder in the "program files" of my C drive.

Basically what that got me to do was search for any file that had "AOL" on it and delete it. It is then I realized those files were not really part of AOL Explorer but part of other programs and those files just happened to have "aol" in the name.

So what I went and did was put in the vista cd the computer came with and instead of "upgrading" vista, I installed a fresh new one, using the custom installation (not really custom just installing vista over again) and lo and behold, when I make a username and start from scratch, I notice two very awful things. Not only is my screen crappy looking and I don't have the 1200 X 1000 resolution option anymore in my display options, I am not even able to connect the internet. Wtf? What does that have to do with installing a fresh copy of windows? What does windows have to do with my screen options and my internet? Anyway I have all the cds with me. Please tell me what I have to do to get my computer back to the way it's supposed to be.

Thanks.

Meteora, Oct 3, 2009
    1. Advertisements

2. Meteora

WAW8

Need to answer the following questions:

1) Did the PC come from Dell with Vista preinstalled?

2) Did the PC work with the display and internet functioning properly when you first used it?

If the answer to these are both yes, you didn't do the restore correctly and need to contact Dell to find out how to get it fixed.

If the answer to either is no, then reply and we'll go forward from there.

WAW8, Oct 4, 2009
    1. Advertisements

3. Meteora

Meteora

Everything was preinstalled, according to the one whofirst used it,and when the computer was bought it came with 5 cds:

1. Windows vista

2. 3 Dell Cds saying "software already installed on your computer"

3. Microsoft Works 9

I was 90% to get my computer back to the way it was it had something to do with the Dell Software on those CDs.

However I put them in and it wasn't a simple case of put-the-disk-in-and-the-computer-will-do-everything-for-you. One of the Dell discs opened up something called "Dell resource cd" and it was pretty damn wierd, because it had like 20 different things on it. About 4 of those things had check marks next to them and when I put the cursor on them, the computer said "computer has detected this on your pc" so that led me to think the things that didn't have checks on them were things needed to be downloaded/installed.

However I click on one of the unchecked things and it had the option "extract" and says it will compress the file and put it somewhere in my program files folder on the C drive. I click on it then the computer said "installation will run automatically". I say ok, at least I'll be getting 1/20 of the way, now. It runs the installation and makes a folder on my C drive. However when this is all done, I do what I usually do and actually check if it's not going to run the installation again (since a lot of installations idiotically repeat themselves for no reason, and don't simply say "already installed on your computer, would you like to re-install?) lo and behold, it installs this 1 out of 20 different things....again. I say screw whatever that means so I go to the next one on the resource cd thing, then I noticed something weird. The thing I JUST downloaded does not have the check mark thing next to it, but why would this be the case? I just downloaded/installed it so shouldn't my computer detect it and hence put a check mark next to it? Maybe it doesn't really mean anything since the folder is still inC:\programs files, and I should probably just continue what I was doing. However I feel all this is just not going to work...but I should try at least.

Any suggestions would be nice.

Meteora, Oct 4, 2009
  4. Meteora

WAW8

If you can't simply uninstall the Dell SW you don't want, the only way to restore your machine to the way it was would be to do a complete reinstallation from the Vista DVD.

Either way, your best first step would be to contact Dell to see what they recommend.

WAW8, Oct 5, 2009
  5. Meteora

Meteora

It's not that I don't want something on it. I want it to have all the stuff it could have, I just wanted my drives to be like-new after I took it from my brother. I will contact them.

Meteora, Oct 5, 2009
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question