brand new laptop won't shut down

Discussion in 'General Technical' started by e.e., Mar 10, 2008.

1. e.e.

e.e.

i have a brand new toshiba laptop -- satellite P205D-S8804 -- came with vista. right out of the box, before doing any updates or the like, when i tried to shut down the screen flashed white and power lights stayed on. happens each time i attempt to turn the computer off. sleep and hibernate seem to work normally, just doesn't actually ever shut down completely. the white light flashes quickly over and over until the cord is pulled and then the screen finally goes black and the power lights go off. when plugged back in, the flashing starts again. same thing after i close and open the laptop itself. anyone know details on why this might be, and how to make it stop? i bought it two days ago -- does this warrant taking it back?

e.e., Mar 10, 2008
    1. Advertisements

2. e.e.

MrMagic

You might try going into CONTROL PANEL -> POWER SETTINGS and check your power profile to ensure that it is set so that the computer actually shuts down when told to do so rather than going into either sleep or hibernate. It sounds to me like that might be the problem.

Steve

MrMagic, Mar 11, 2008
    1. Advertisements

3. e.e.

WAW8

MrMagic:

Good catch! Most people don't know that sleep/hibernate is the default setting for the on screen power button, and they have to change that to actually shutdown their machine.

Another "default" that MS chose -- and didn't both to make it well known.

WAW8, Mar 11, 2008
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question