Bootloader Config

Discussion in 'General Technical' started by tomallen35, Sep 6, 2006.

1. tomallen35

tomallen35

Can anyone help me with the problem I am having?

I've just installed RC1 on an old 80GB IDE hard drive as vista doesn't support my SATA controller during installation for some reason. On my SATA drive, I have Windows XP MCE 2005 installed and so I was hoping that Vista would pick up the other installation of windows once it had installed and offer it in the boot screen. Unfortunately this hasn't happened.

I now have the SATA controller installed in Vista and can see the SATA drive with MCE installed on it. Is there any way I can addthe MCEinstanceto the bootloader? (I'm not ready to make a perminant switch to Vista but would also like to still be able to use it)

Thanks

tomallen35, Sep 6, 2006
    1. Advertisements

2. tomallen35

doghucat

Did you do a clean install from with in your main operating system. There is a boot program out there that some are using its called vista boot pro I think you might try for a boot manager.

doghucat, Sep 6, 2006
    1. Advertisements

3. tomallen35

tomallen35

thanks for the tip- i came across vista boot proearlier todayand tried adding my old os to it, but a couple of seconds after selecting xp instead of vista, my machine resets - no warnings or errors.

i've seen this before on another machine and thesimilaritiesare that they both had a SATA drive and an IDE drive (of which the SATA drive was acting as the primary drive) and they bothhadgigabyte motherboards.The problem could also be due to the fact that Vista has renamed the IDE drive C:\ and the SATA drive H:\...

Anyways, my thoughts so far havebeen to head into the xp recovery console and get the xp bootloader back and make sure that the drive is still in one piece then try and either repair windows vista or potentially reinstall it - but i think i might be going round in circles if i did that.

anyone got any thoughts?

edit: i didn't do a clean install from xp as this caused issues for me with beta 2. instead i booted from the vista dvd and clean installed from there

tomallen35, Sep 7, 2006
  4. tomallen35

doghucat

Glad I went with the ide root insted of the sata 80 gig that I have for storage hope everthing went alright with the bootloader for you have to do that myself after this Vista thing passes I probly will get vista when it comes out and maybe dual boot XP pro sometime in the future like the way this build run very little problem as long as you enable the admin account and go log on that account instead of user admin.

doghucat, Sep 9, 2006
  5. tomallen35

tomallen35

unfortunately i now can't see my xp partition from vista, but there is good news in that i can boot to xp easily by physically removing the ide drive. i think my plan now is to format that (the drive with vista on) then get into xp and install vista from there.

its most frustrating, but i'll be really happy if this works

- will report back with findings

tomallen35, Sep 10, 2006
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question