Booting Vista from External HD via USB

Discussion in 'Installation & Compatibility' started by Blek, Jun 24, 2009.

1. Blek

Blek

<DIV id=post-357488 class=postcolor>I'm trying to have an additional drive with vista installed for back-up, recovery, problem solving etc... for my laptop. So I tried to be smart, and installed Vista on a SATA hard drive that was connected to the SATA cable of a PC. The HD was then put in an enclosure connected via USB to the laptop. However, when trying a reboot on the USB drive, it got started (which means it recognized the System on the external HD), then the loading stops with a blue screen and the machine get restarted. I believe there should be an incompatibility in the way vista was installed (as a main HD "C:") and the way it tries to load (as an external HD "F:"). I have no clue how to repair the installation on the external HD, I tried the "Repair" function from the vista DVD but it didn't help, same problem after repair. May be things have to be repaired manually?

any help will be appreciated. </DIV>

Blek, Jun 24, 2009
    1. Advertisements

2. Blek

WAW8

If I understand what you said, you hooked the SATA drive up "internally" via a standard SATA cable and then installed Vista on it, right?

When you installed Vista on the drive, it wasn't hooked up via USB so, when it rebooted repeatedly to do the installation, of course, it worked. But now, you're trying to boot from a USB drive.

The problem you may be running into is whether or your your PC supports booting from USB, not all do. You will have to check your BIOS settings to be sure that you can boot from USB.

Also, can you still boot normally using your first installation? IF so, do you get a menu indicating two copies of Vista? If the second is true, then Vista installed its boot loader files to your old Vista copy and the new drive doesn't have them. That will also prevent it from booting.

WAW8, Jul 10, 2009
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question