Booting Vista and XP

Discussion in 'Installation & Compatibility' started by aszavai, Mar 7, 2007.

1. aszavai

aszavai

Hi everybody! Usually i don't post, because from reading other guys postings and answers i can figure out by myself pretty much everything. But, I have a problem dual booting,which it seems insurmontable, for me at least. So, this is what i did:

i partitionedthe hdd (sata) on my new and first laptop several partitions: one of them is c:\, primary, and another is F:\ primary, too...now, i installed vista on c:\, from the recovery dvd, that came with asus...then, my own copy of XP, on F:\....then, because the bootloader in vista was messed up, i installed Vista again in C:\. xp, worked fine, before i installed vista again, but now xp won't boot...vista is fine...when the pc starts, thewindowboot managerappears and i have a choice, vista or xp...if i chose xp, it will say file: tldr

the selected entry could not be loaded because the application is missing or corupt

the next step, in vistaI installed EasyBCD,whereI addedXP,change the drive to F:\ and made it thesecond choice...thefunny thing isthat, thedrive whereI installed xp, keep changing back to C:\, wich is not right, inC:\resides vista. Anyway in EasyBCD, i can see xp, with his BCDID, the drivewhich shows C:\ instead of F:\, the bootloader path which is tldr, and Windows directory which is empty...

Then, after some research in this forum i found a very good post to how toedit the windowvista bootmenu options- BCDedit.Here I changed the letter C: that was next to the legacy os, xp, to F:. I used the bcdedit /set {...}device partition=F:, hit enter, the change was succesfully done...then, i type the other command line,the one with osdevice but somehow it didn't work.

when i boot up again, the xp choice still doesn't work, the letter has somehow changed from C: to F:, but that's it...i really don't know what else to do...so please, if somebody can direct me to a post or an article, or explain to me what i did wrong...because, it seems is not such a hard thing to dual boot, but somehow i can't do it...

sorry for the long post.

thanks, alex

aszavai, Mar 7, 2007
    1. Advertisements

2. aszavai

aszavai

Hi, again, i kept looking around in the forum. I have 2 questios: what does it mean to install Vista from whitin the legacy os? LIke an upgrade? I know i didn't do that, i installed vista on c: after xp on f:...Maybe this is why my dual boot doesn't work?

and I tried to run again the command lines bdcedit /set device and osdevice, together, but how you do that? you don't type enter between the lines? anyway the second command line is not recognized...

aszavai, Mar 8, 2007
    1. Advertisements

3. aszavai

grizzly44

Installing from within the legacy os means being in XP, put the Vista DVD in, and when the nice gui prompt comes up, choose a clean install.

This is necessary to make vista aware of Xp and to add it to the BCD list.

I've followed that method each time I've installed Vista, but it will leave you with Xp on at c:\ and Vista on x:\ . If thats ok then install xp first, then Vista.

Chris

grizzly44, Mar 8, 2007
  4. aszavai

aszavai

Thanks, Grizzly...I am not sure will work in my case...My laptop came with a recovery dvd, and whenever i boot from that dvd, i have only 3 options where to install vista, or the recovery files, which are first partition, all hdd, or in 2 partition...i didn't try with xp installed in c:, then vista wherever, but this means i have reformat, partition again, install everything in that order...so, there is no really other way to dual boot vista on first partition and then whatevar legacy os and maybe a linux on other partitions...that's a bummer...anyway i am too tired to do it again all over...hopefully down the line, some solution will arise and will be able to boot on xp and install a distro, too...

aszavai, Mar 8, 2007
  5. aszavai

WAW8

Sorry to disagree, but my experience with dual-booting is that you do NOT have to install Vista from within XP for it to find XP; in fact, in my case, installing from DVD was the better option because only then could I load the Nvidia SATA drivers -- which were needed by Vista. Also, only then was I able to format the Vista partition using Vista -- which turned out also to be needed.

My original installation inside XP, formatting the partition with XP, results in data corruption errors once Vista was installed and started using the partition. When I reinstalled from DVD, loading the Nvidia drivers, after reformatting the partition with Vista, all the data problems vanished.

Evidently, Vista installation is smart enough to find XP even when installed from DVD.

WAW8, Mar 10, 2007
  6. aszavai

Manray

<P align=left>ok, I'm having the exact same problem as <P align=left><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%"><TBODY><TR><TD class=SmallTxt width="80%"><DIV id=_ctl1_ctlTopic_ctlPanelBar_ctlTopicsRepeater__ctl2_smAuthorName_SimpleMenuDivLayer onmouseover="InstantASP_OpenMenuMouseOver('_ctl1_ctlTopic_ctlPanelBar_ctlTopicsRepeater__ctl2_smAuthorName','_ctl1_ctlTopic_ctlPanelBar_ctlTopicsRepeater__ctl2_smAuthorName_SimpleMenuDivLayer','<table width=100% class=PanelBar_OuterTable cellspacing=0 cellpadding=0><tr><td><table width=100% cellspacing=1 cellpadding=7><tr><td class=TableCell_Light>View Member\'s Profile</tr><tr><td class=TableCell_Light>Add to Buddy List</tr><tr><td class=TableCell_Light><a href=__doPostBack(\'butSendPrivateMessage\',\'1704\'); onmouseover=\'window.status=window.location;return true;\'; onmouseout=window.status=\'\';return true; Class=\'SmlLinks\' Title=\'Send Private Message\'>Send Private Message</a></tr><tr><td class=TableCell_Light><a href=__doPostBack(\'butSendEmail\',\'1704\'); onmouseover=\'window.status=window.location;return true;\'; onmouseout=window.status=\'\';return true; Class=\'SmlLinks\' Title=\'Send Email To Member\'>Send Email To Member</a></tr><tr><td class=TableCell_Light><a href=__doPostBack(\'butShowMemberPosts\',\'1704\'); onmouseover=\'window.status=window.location;return true;\'; onmouseout=window.status=\'\';return true; Class=\'SmlLinks\' Title=\'Find All Member\s Posts\'>Find All Member\'s Posts</a></tr></td></tr></table></td></tr></table>','165px');" style="DISPLAY: inline" onclick="InstantASP_OpenMenu('_ctl1_ctlTopic_ctlPanelBar_ctlTopicsRepeater__ctl2_smAuthorName','_ctl1_ctlTopic_ctlPanelBar_ctlTopicsRepeater__ctl2_smAuthorName_SimpleMenuDivLayer','<table width=100% class=PanelBar_OuterTable cellspacing=0 cellpadding=0><tr><td><table width=100% cellspacing=1 cellpadding=7><tr><td class=TableCell_Light>View Member\'s Profile</tr><tr><td class=TableCell_Light>Add to Buddy List</tr><tr><td class=TableCell_Light><a href=__doPostBack(\'butSendPrivateMessage\',\'1704\'); onmouseover=\'window.status=window.location;return true;\'; onmouseout=window.status=\'\';return true; Class=\'SmlLinks\' Title=\'Send Private Message\'>Send Private Message</a></tr><tr><td class=TableCell_Light><a href=__doPostBack(\'butSendEmail\',\'1704\'); onmouseover=\'window.status=window.location;return true;\'; onmouseout=window.status=\'\';return true; Class=\'SmlLinks\' Title=\'Send Email To Member\'>Send Email To Member</a></tr><tr><td class=TableCell_Light><a href=__doPostBack(\'butShowMemberPosts\',\'1704\'); onmouseover=\'window.status=window.location;return true;\'; onmouseout=window.status=\'\';return true; Class=\'SmlLinks\' Title=\'Find All Member\s Posts\'>Find All Member\'s Posts</a></tr></td></tr></table></td></tr></table>','165px');"><U>aszavai</U></DIV></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

when I chose to boot XP I get

file: tldr

the selected entry could not be loaded because the application is missing or corupt

so aszavai... what ever happened with that matter? Did you find a solution? I can identify my case ex

Manray, Mar 19, 2007
  7. aszavai

cyclic

One common problem adding legacy OS' with BCDEDIT or Vistaboot pro is that you have to think about how drive letters are assigned, which is every time you boot. Now you have installed XP to drive F:\ but if you add it to BCDEDIT as drive F:\ you will get the NTLDR missing message and why ? because you have booted to that drive containing XP which is now C:\ ! and whichever drive is now F:\ it sure hasn't got any boot files on it, even if it turns out to be the Vista drive. Make sure all XP's boot files are on the same drive as Vista's boot folder, which in the order you installed they should be on the XP drive F:\ but when you add it to BCD make it drive C:\ don't worry about having 2 apparent drives lettered C:\ they're not, when you boot to XP it will be C:\ but Vista will be something else. Try it.

It can be a bit confusing and would be fine if Windows had a store of drive letters and which physical drive they belong to but it doesn't, and never has, worked like that. Drive letters are assigned each time you boot, hence the little problem we get here.

cyclic, Mar 19, 2007
  8. aszavai

jdonner

Do yourself a favor and install Vista onr drive and XP on another drive and install a 3rd drive for backups. Then you don't need all that becedit junk and it always works, it also means that one drive crash doesn't stop your from using the other OS. Another advantage is that it allows you to completely hide the XP partition in Vista.

jdonner, Mar 23, 2007
  9. aszavai

WAW8

It's not necessary to install Vista from inside XP to make it aware of XP. I've installed Vista booting from the DVD and it finds the XP installation and adds it to the multi-boot menu. Plus, if you need to load device drivers as part of the Vista install (e.g., SATA ISE or RAID), then you have to boot from DVD.

WAW8, Mar 23, 2007
  10. aszavai

freescalpel

I have been looking for a detailed guide on how to dual boot to 2 separate drives. (Almost every guide I've seen deals with dual booting to a partitioned single drive). I figured 2 separate drives would be better but I wish someone could explain the differences more clearly to me because I have seen a lot of woes described by people who dual boot to partitioned drives. Would it be any different with separate drives?

freescalpel, May 12, 2007
  11. aszavai

cyclic

If like me your BIOS supports a Boot menu by pressing F8 during post then I have systems installed on 3 different drives all on their first primary partition so I just use the boot menu the BIOS has to boot to whichever drive I want, or even a CD if a fancy a fiddle with Knoppix or similar, you can't do this with systems on different partitions of the same physical drive, I just find it easier and none of the systems is aware of the others and none needs to be hidden so I have just one Temp internet directory\cookies\history and mail store etc for all 3, that way whichever system I boot to my cookies and internet cache is always up to date even if I don't use one for weeks, plus it means only a 4th. data disk is getting fragmented by all those silly little files and not any of the system folders.

cyclic, May 12, 2007
  12. aszavai

ScooterC

I totally agree!!!!

I've been using dual boot for years.

Each OS is on a separate physical drive and the install/backups/data are on other separate drives. NEVER had a problem.

I setup this way for TWO reasons:

1. I have my "working" current OS (First Hard drive) and

the "new improved version" to learn and work out the bugs, on the 2nd Hard drive.

2. When I have the "new improved version" working to MY specifications (software and hardware).

I take out the first hard drive (current OS and don't hook it up again) and replace it with the 2nd hard drive (new OS).

I bootup and let the OS re-establish itself.

I keep the OLD drive for awhile (just in case), but usually, I hook up the old 1st drive (which is now the 2nd or 3rd Primary drive).

Bootup again. The Old OS is not recognized.

I reformat or not (in which case, I don't use that drive's first partition), and I have a new system.

Have Fun and Take Care,

ScooterC

ScooterC, Sep 3, 2007
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question