Boot up problem

Discussion in 'Installation & Compatibility' started by norman52, Apr 10, 2008.

1. norman52

norman52

After a number of failed installs and then trying to reinstall XP I finally got to get Vista up and running. Works great!

The problem is when I boot up i get the start up screen and it shows my old failed install attempts (Old windows) and (Setup) and then Windows Vista. How do I remove the

(old Windows) and (setup) options? I just want my computer to turn on and then boot up to Vista. Now it sits there and waits for me to select which operating system I want.

so my boot screen looks like this

old windows

Windows Vista

Setup

and then it asks me to select one.

I want to remove old vista and set up but I have no idea how?

norman52, Apr 10, 2008
    1. Advertisements

2. norman52

WAW8

You're asking two quite different questions: (1) removing the boot entries, (2) removing the (failed?) installations.

The first is easy to answer. Download EasyBCD or BootVistaPro, install it in Vista, and then use the screens to remove the boot entries you don't want.

The second is a LOT harder. If you installed each attempt to a different partition, simply remove that partition and reboot. If the boot menu didn't also remove the associated entry, proceed as above and remove that entry manually.

If you installed to the same partition, you've got a much more serious problem. Typically, addition Windows installation to the same OS partition are installed in "Windows.0", "Windows.1" (etc), instead of "Windows". You could remove the ".0" and ".1" folders but you also have to deal with account-related folders as well. While the result could be OK, it's more likely that it will hose up the installation.

Please get back with details on what you see regarding the OS installations.

WAW8, Apr 10, 2008
    1. Advertisements

3. norman52

norman52

i tried both the programs and they both showed the "Old Windows" and removed it but neither one showed the XP boot up.

It still boots up with a choice of XP setup (I don't want) or Windows Vista.

I just need to get rid of the XP choice so the computer will boot up automatically to Vista if if shuts down and restarts after a crash.

So we are batting .500 which isn't bad but lets see who knows how to get rid of XP.

I really don't care about the old files. I can delete them sometime down the road. I just want to computer to restart and automatical boot up Vista.

norman52, Apr 10, 2008
  4. norman52

WAW8

If XP is in its own OS partition, just use a third-party disk management tool to remove that partition. That might hose up the boot, but if it does, insert the Vista DVD and do a startup repair. We have instructions on that in our Forum.

You said the XP reinstallation failed. How did you determine that?

WAW8, Apr 10, 2008
  5. norman52

norman52

Xp crashed during setup, so I tried Vista one more time and with the help of Microsoft Techs I got Vista to work. And it works great!

So do you suggest something like Partition magic to try to find the boot sector that XP is on?

norman52, Apr 11, 2008
  6. norman52

WAW8

I'm not really clear whether you have the OS's on separate partitions or not. That's central to fixing the problem.

I'm also not clear as to the order in which you installed the OS's. That's also central to fixing the problem.

I'm not going to spend hours writing all the different combinations of things that MIGHT work. I need to know specifics about your setup.

WAW8, Apr 11, 2008
  7. norman52

norman52

I don't think they are on seperate partitions. When I installed Vista or at least the first attempt, it reformatted my hard drive so that should have left me with just one partition.

After numerous other attempts neither Vista or Xp asked to creat a partition.

I can't find the file boot.ini anywhere and I believe Xp need this to boot so I have no idea why Xp is even showing up in windows boot manager. If I could find the file that controls boot manager I could edit it but I have no idea wherre that file is either.

I could just reformat and start over but after two days of tryng to get Vista up and running that choice is way down the line.

norman52, Apr 12, 2008
  8. norman52

WAW8

Without being able to examine the machine firsthand, it's virtually impossible to really understand the details of what's wrong with it -- or what it will take to fix it.

I'm going to guess the following scenario (tell me where I'm wrong):

1) You had XP on the machine originally

2) You tried to install Vista but it failed somehow. However, it got far enough to create the new boot loader and build a boot menu including both XP (old windows) and Vista

3) You tried to install or repair Vista, but it too failed. This created a third boot entry, labeled Setup

4) You contacted MS and they had you do something to that your boot into Vista would work.

5) You contacted us. We told you to try some third-party Vista boot programs. You did, and used them to remove the all but two of the boot options

6) You're still getting two boot options and the default one is NOT Vista, so you have to select Vista manually every time you boot.

OK so far?

XP used NTLDR and boot.ini to boot; Vista uses entirely new boot loader files. The boot files (both XP and Vista) are always installed in the first OS partition on the first hard drive. On a multi-partition box with XP already installed, this means that the Vista boot loader files are actually installed in the XP partition.

Since you have a single partition, it will contain both sets of boot loader files -- or it should, if both OS's were successfully installed at one point.

The easiest solution is to set the default so that Vista is selected in the dual-boot menu. That way, you don't have to select anything.

The link below tells you how to do that:

[url]http://www.howtogeek.com/howt...os-in-a-windows-vista-and-xp-dual-boot-setup/ [/url]

WAW8, Apr 12, 2008
  9. norman52

norman52

I think you understand the problem 100%. I tried the link you left and when I went through all the steps my computer only shows Vista as the default program. Nothing else, not Xp or set up or anything. But when I boot up i stiil get the selection of Vista or Xp Setup.

So where are the instructions coming for boot up? Can I go in and edit them?

So close but yet so far.

norman52, Apr 12, 2008
  10. norman52

norman52

Easy BCD found this legacy file.

Boot.ini

;
    ;Warning: Boot.ini is used on Windows XP and earlier operating systems.
    ;Warning: Use BCDEDIT.exe to modify Windows Vista boot options.
    ;
    [boot loader]
    timeout=5
    default=c:\$WIN_NT$.~BT\BOOTSECT.DAT
    [operating systems]
    c:\$WIN_NT$.~BT\BOOTSECT.DAT="Microsoft Windows XP Setup"

Trouble is I can't seem to edit it as Vista tells me it is read only and I can't find it to chage its properties.

norman52, Apr 12, 2008
  11. norman52

WAW8

That's not a "normal" boot.ini file; instead, that's something the XP setup created as a temporary file to use for installation. If the MS techs had told you the "right stuff", you wouldn't be having these problems. If Vista is starting OK for you, something that MS told you to do did not cleanup properly after the failed XP reinstall.

I'm tempted to tell you to remove boot.ini -- but if anything goes wrong, you run the risk of not being able to boot your machine.

Sorry, this is not an XP board, so we can't invest the time needed to debug XP-related startup issues.

You could try looking through the EasyBCD documentation (available from their website) to see what they suggest, You could even try surfing their forums.

WAW8, Apr 13, 2008
  12. norman52

norman52

Well, I dleleted the boot.ini file and that wasn't the fix. it still asks to load xp startup or windows vista.I wish I knew where it was getting the information then I could just edit or delete the files.

I looked at the boot loader file and it was in code way beyond my abilities.

norman52, Apr 14, 2008
  13. norman52

norman52

Ok. I removed every reference I could find to old windows, burned the files to DVD's and deleted them from the hard drive. Vista is still working. I went to my "D" drive and made sure there was nothing there I needed as there was some windows reference's mentioned there. Formatted it so it is empty. Now all we are dealing wih is "c"

Still have the problem. The bootup still shows XP setup or Windws Vista as choices.

Ther must be a fle out there that controls this and I can edit it but what file is it?

so close but yet so far.............................

norman52, Apr 14, 2008
  14. norman52

WAW8

The boot loader file for Vista contains this info. This is not an .ini file anymore, which is why you have to use an app to update it. Vista provides a command to use known as bcdcedit; other apps do the same thing with EasyBCD and VistaBootPro.

WAW8, Apr 15, 2008
  15. norman52

norman52

Well this is what EasyBCd shows.<P class=MsoNormal style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt; mso-layout-grid-align: none"><SPAN style="FONT-SIZE: 9pt; FONT-FAMILY: Candara; mso-bidi-font-family: Candara">There is one entry in the Vista Bootloader.<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p></SPAN><P class=MsoNormal style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt; mso-layout-grid-align: none"><SPAN style="FONT-SIZE: 9pt; FONT-FAMILY: Candara; mso-bidi-font-family: Candara">Bootloader Timeout: 30 seconds.<o:p></o:p></SPAN><P class=MsoNormal style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt; mso-layout-grid-align: none"><SPAN style="FONT-SIZE: 9pt; FONT-FAMILY: Candara; mso-bidi-font-family: Candara">Default OS: Microsoft Windows <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:smarttags" /><st1:place w:st="on">Vista</st1:place><o:p></o:p></SPAN><P class=MsoNormal style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt; mso-layout-grid-align: none"><SPAN style="FONT-SIZE: 9pt; FONT-FAMILY: Candara; mso-bidi-font-family: Candara"><o:p></o:p></SPAN><P class=MsoNormal style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt; mso-layout-grid-align: none"><SPAN style="FONT-SIZE: 9pt; FONT-FAMILY: Candara; mso-bidi-font-family: Candara">Entry #1<o:p></o:p></SPAN><P class=MsoNormal style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt; mso-layout-grid-align: none"><SPAN style="FONT-SIZE: 9pt; FONT-FAMILY: Candara; mso-bidi-font-family: Candara"><o:p></o:p></SPAN><P class=MsoNormal style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt; mso-layout-grid-align: none"><SPAN style="FONT-SIZE: 9pt; FONT-FAMILY: Candara; mso-bidi-font-family: Candara">Name:<SPAN style="mso-spacerun: yes"> </SPAN>Microsoft Windows <st1:place w:st="on">Vista</st1:place><o:p></o:p></SPAN><P class=MsoNormal style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt; mso-layout-grid-align: none"><SPAN style="FONT-SIZE: 9pt; FONT-FAMILY: Candara; mso-bidi-font-family: Candara">BCD ID:<SPAN style="mso-spacerun: yes"> </SPAN>{current}<o:p></o:p></SPAN><P class=MsoNormal style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt; mso-layout-grid-align: none"><SPAN style="FONT-SIZE: 9pt; FONT-FAMILY: Candara; mso-bidi-font-family: Candara">Drive:<SPAN style="mso-spacerun: yes"> </SPAN>C:\<o:p></o:p></SPAN><P class=MsoNormal style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt; mso-layout-grid-align: none"><SPAN style="FONT-SIZE: 9pt; FONT-FAMILY: Candara; mso-bidi-font-family: Candara">Bootloader Path:<SPAN style="mso-spacerun: yes"> </SPAN>\Windows\system32\winload.exe<o:p></o:p></SPAN><P class=MsoNormal style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt; mso-layout-grid-align: none"><SPAN style="FONT-SIZE: 9pt; FONT-FAMILY: Candara; mso-bidi-font-family: Candara">Windows Directory:<SPAN style="mso-spacerun: yes"> </SPAN>\Windows</SPAN><P class=MsoNormal style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt; mso-layout-grid-align: none"><SPAN style="FONT-SIZE: 9pt; FONT-FAMILY: Candara; mso-bidi-font-family: Candara"></SPAN><P class=MsoNormal style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt; mso-layout-grid-align: none"><SPAN style="FONT-SIZE: 9pt; FONT-FAMILY: Candara; mso-bidi-font-family: Candara"></SPAN><P class=MsoNormal style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt; mso-layout-grid-align: none"><SPAN style="FONT-SIZE: 9pt; FONT-FAMILY: Candara; mso-bidi-font-family: Candara"></SPAN><P class=MsoNormal style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt; mso-layout-grid-align: none"><SPAN style="FONT-SIZE: 9pt; FONT-FAMILY: Candara; mso-bidi-font-family: Candara">Nothing about XP in there so where is it getting the info? I must have to look elswhere?</SPAN>

norman52, Apr 15, 2008
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question