Boot Screen animation location

Discussion in 'Performance & Tweaks' started by tevans95, Jun 21, 2011.

1. tevans95

tevans95

I would like to know where that animation is held. I am talking about the black screen with the green loading bar at the bottom. I know about changing the /NOGUIBOOT picture (I have done that) but I have also made another version which just adds a picture to the background of the loader. Any help is welcome. So far my research has come up that there is no way to change it I just want to make sure.

tevans95, Jun 21, 2011
    1. Advertisements

2. tevans95

WAW8

The How-to-Geek website had the instructions on how to customize the boot screen -- but with the warning that SP1 broke that, and attempting the same customizations would render Vista unbootable.

Sorry ... I don't believe you can do that anymore.

WAW8, Jun 22, 2011
    1. Advertisements

3. tevans95

tevans95

If you are refering to the one that uses "Vista Boot Logo Generator" then that is not what I am looking for. That is for using the NO GUI boot option in msconfig and changing the static picture to replace the auora NO GUI boot screen. I want the location of the animated GUI Boot screen. I have replaced the static one but with another software. The static image (although with a resource editor I can't find the image) is in winload.exe.mui located in "%systemroot%/system32/en-us" But if it was another How to Geek page please post a link so I can see what what they said you could do.

http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windows-vista/create-a-custom-boot-logo-for-windows-vista/ (URL to the How to Geek I think you are refering to)

tevans95, Jun 22, 2011
  4. tevans95

tevans95

Well I found the location on my own. It is located in %systemroot%\system32\ntkrnlpa.exe or ntoskrnl.exe. It is the first image under bitmap Now it is just that the picture comes out ugly and that the file doesn't pass the Digital Signature.. I got it down to a 4bit .bmp like the orginal .bmp. So any ideas on getting it to look nice? The only other issue is that it doesn't line up right with the progress bar animation but I can fix that on my own.

tevans95, Jun 26, 2011
  5. tevans95

tevans95

I have finally managed to modify the GUI boot screen so I will be posting how to do so as soon as possible.

tevans95, Jun 28, 2011
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question