Boot/Remote Desktop Problems

Discussion in 'General Technical' started by doyler78, Jun 19, 2007.

1. doyler78

doyler78

Hi,

I'm running ubuntu 7.04 on one machine and vista ultimate on my other. I only have one monitor so rather than pulling the monitor cable in and out between the two machines and remotely connected to vista from ubuntu.

However when logged off my vista session via the rdp session from ubuntu and plugged the monitor cable back into vista the monitor wouldn't come back on by moving the mouse or hitting keys on the keyboard. Pressed the reset button the pc however when I do a normal boot its gets passed the windows vista ultimate initial splash screen (the one with the bar about 3 quarters of the down the screen which would indicate stuff loading) but I never get as far as a login screen. The monitor just switches off.

However even at this stage, with a monitor which has been forced into standby by vista, I can take the lead out fo the back of my pc and plug it into ubuntu and immediately start a rdp session and log in without a problem at all. Indeed it is from vista via a remote session that I am writing this.

Very strange.

System Restore doesn't work nor a startup repair.

Any ideas how I resolve this without a complete reinstallation of vista.

Thanks

doyler78, Jun 19, 2007
    1. Advertisements

2. doyler78

doyler78

Ok,

Have this sorted. The problem was caused totally by myself. I chose the wrong RDP protocol - should have been v5 and this obviously caused a disconnection problem which was locking out my ability to login locally. Anyway once I logged in with RDPv5 and logged off the session remotely and plugged the monitor cable back into my vista pc the login screen was there waiting for me.

doyler78, Jun 19, 2007
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question