Boot Loader in 5308

Discussion in 'General Technical' started by Jason, Mar 3, 2006.

1. Jason

Jason

So I installed 5308 on one of my partitions, on the other partition I have Xp Pro x64 running. After installing vista and I go to computer > advanced prop > startup settings, and I change the default OS to Legacy, nothing comes up or anything. How do I access the Boot.ini file?

Jason, Mar 3, 2006
    1. Advertisements

2. Jason

Jason

Ok well I found out that in the later builds of Vista like 5308 they are doing w/ out the boot.ini and are using a utility called bcdEdit.exe to modify the boot loader. But when I run this it just flashes the command window and then closes.

Jason, Mar 3, 2006
    1. Advertisements

3. Jason

_Venom_

Are you running it in the command prompt window?

If not just go to run, type in cmd and try bcdEdit.exe.

I think the command prompt window is also in the vista start panel in the vista builds, though I don't quite remember.

:unsure:

_Venom_, Mar 3, 2006
  4. Jason

Jason

Ya I have tried running it from command prompt, I navigate to system 32 folder and type in bcdedit.exe, then it says that I dont have access so I type:

/runas user:administrator bcdedit.exe

and it says:

attempting to start bcdedit...

a screen flashes w/ some text on it (dos screen) but closes and I cant keep it open. So wahtever it is doing it. Can anyone else run bcdedit from vistA?

Jason, Mar 4, 2006
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question