Blue Screen crashes with USB since installing SP1

Discussion in 'Installation & Compatibility' started by Argonaut, Apr 1, 2008.

1. Argonaut

Argonaut

I have a USB HDD (powered) ... all working OK with any of my PC's
    SP1 installed .. since then if I turn on the USB HDD when VISTA running it crashes .. bluescreen and creates dumps.
    If I try to start PC up with drive already switched on PC will not start, keeps rebooting once it gets to Windows splash screen.

The USB HDD still works fine with other PC's ... as I use it daily for backups and file storage.

Did SP1 screw up USB ??

The last time it worked OK on VISTA was immediately before the SP1 upgrade when I took a full system back up .... since then it will not work with VISTA.

After a crash .... I have to switch off USB HDD or unplug i to get VISTA to boot ... often have to do a safe mode start up first , followed by shut down then a normal start.

Vista report ..."Restart after crash, shall I check for solution" but returns nothing ... not even a "nothing found" message.

About screen does tell me I have "Vista Ultimate 2007 Service Pack 1"

PC is Dell 9200 2GB RAM 6600 2.4GHz 2 x 330GB HD RAID 0

USB HDD is connected via a Belkin powered USB hub ... which works fine with XP machines - and worked OK with VISTA prior to this issue.

Argonaut, Apr 1, 2008
    1. Advertisements

2. Argonaut

WAW8

Several things you can do. Changes your settings so that Vista does not autoreboot on a crash. That way, you'll be able to read and write down the stop codes. Hook up your external drive to an XP box and run scandisk on it. That will fix any file system errors that is causing Vista to hang up. When you boot Vista after this, plug the hard drive directly into a USB jack, not the hub. I known that should not matter since it was working before, but it's worth trying anyway.

WAW8, Apr 2, 2008
    1. Advertisements

3. Argonaut

marc.aronson

I am having the same problem. It worked prior to SP1, but now I get a BSOD when I connect my 300GB USB drive. I don't see this problem when I connect my 200GB USB drive. Also, my XP laptop works fine with the 300GB drive. I tried doing a scan/repair of the 300GB drive under XP, and then connecting to the Vista/SP1 machine, but that didn't help -- still got a BSOD. I also tried stopping the readiboost service as suggested in another forum -- that didn't help either.

Suggestions / ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Marc

marc.aronson, Apr 11, 2008
  4. Argonaut

MarkARC

I am getting the same error. BSOD during the install of my ByTecc USB drive. All my other USB enclosures work fine and this drive works fine in XP. I checked the drive and no errors. I have attached the minidump. Can anyone offer a work around, or do we have to wait till windows gets an update to fix this error?

Thanks

MarkARC, Apr 15, 2008
  5. Argonaut

WAW8

Everyone please listen up -- these are most probably all related to USB driver problems.

THERE IS NO MIRACLE CURE!!

We have a pinned post in our Drivers forum about troubleshooting USB driver problems. Try working through the suggestions in that post.

WAW8, Apr 16, 2008
  6. Argonaut

Beniwalid

Remove all the MicroSoft update files that ends with 879.

You have to be in Safe Mode and use your control Panel and make sure to view all the MS update files.

Good luck

Beniwalid

Beniwalid, Aug 30, 2009
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question