blue screen and random reboots (not bsod)

Discussion in 'General Technical' started by thieveshonor, Dec 1, 2007.

1. thieveshonor

thieveshonor

Help!

I have a Dell XPS M1330 running Vista Home. Recently, my screen has been turning blue a blue hue and the computer locks up. I have to force the system to reboot using the power button. When the system reboots, I get a black screen with multi colored vertical lines. I've included some pictures to better show whats going on.

normal

[​IMG]

blue hue

[​IMG]

blue login screen

[​IMG]

after restart

[​IMG]

I've run the Dell diagnostic tools and everything passed. I installed and ran fanspeed, the system still locks up at 35c, so I think I can rule out an overheating problem. I've run some other hardware diagnostics and have had nothing fail.

Anyone have any ideas on how to solve this??

thieveshonor, Dec 1, 2007
    1. Advertisements

2. thieveshonor

Jason

I'm pretty sure it sounds like a glitchy video driver. Make sure you have the latest from ATI or Nvidia's website. You can find out what your video card brand is by locating the device manager.

Jason, Dec 2, 2007
    1. Advertisements

3. thieveshonor

thieveshonor

i downloaded and installed the latest driver from dell. i'll try the one from the nvidia website and see if that improves anything.

thieveshonor, Dec 2, 2007
  4. thieveshonor

blackhat

I had those glitches about a year ago

cleaning the cpu and gpu fan solved the problem

blackhat, Dec 2, 2007
  5. thieveshonor

thieveshonor

i called Dell, and they seemed to think the blue screen was caused by a faulty lcd, and the random lockups would be fixed by replacing the mobo. not to sure about this.

i spent 2+ hours running the full dell diagnostics without the system locking up once. I've also boot off a live cd (ubuntu) running the environment for over 45min without a single lockup, but the second i boot back into vista the system blue screened and locked up. to me a faulty graphics driver or some sort of software issue would seem the most logical.

a dirty gpu and or cpu fan might be a problem, but i've only had the system for a few months. wher i hear the processor fan kick on i can still air being blown from the vent. I would crack the laptop and check, but its still under dell's warranty.

one thought that i had was downgrading the system to xp. any other ideas that you guys can throw at me??

thieveshonor, Dec 2, 2007
  6. thieveshonor

mfouts

The exact same thing started happening to my computer as of 4 days ago. When I restart I jsut get those vertical lines of color which turn bright white. Sometimes the computer will continue to boot up from there or some times it will simply freeze and I have to restart. I think it happened when Windows update did an automatic install on that day...but I've done system restores and rolled back all of the drivers with no improvements. It doesnt seem to happen when the computer is in safe mode and I am really sure that this problem is driver related...I just can't find a way to fix it. Also, I'm not sure if this has happened on your computer but my speakers also stopped working (I do get sound through headphones). I'm very interested if anyone can think of a cause for this!

mfouts, Dec 3, 2007
  7. thieveshonor

WAW8

The blue hue and the vertical bars could both be caused by a loose video screen connector in your laptop -- but that would more likely show up when you moved or bumped it. If the hue/lines are showing up after the machine has been on for a while, and not right after boot, then it's more likely a heat-related issued, not with the CPU, but with the GPU.

If the Dell is still under warranty, I would raise hell with Dell and have them fix it.

WAW8, Dec 4, 2007
  8. thieveshonor

worldofhoax

Yes! that exact same thing happened to me a couple of days ago and now my computer doesn't start at all i get a blank screen and sometimes balck background with 2 green vertical lines. My computer looked exactly like that, i believe it happened at the same time i was updating my nvidia driver and dell bios. Now when i start my computer i cont even get to the bios section and cant run any diagnostics tests, when i was able to at first it didn't find anything wrong i did all the tests available still nothing wrong. any advice? i just bought in augusti still have waranty. should i contact dell?

worldofhoax, Dec 13, 2007
  9. thieveshonor

kingofnexus

Definately contact dell. When you cant see any of the boot screen or post then something has gone terribly wrong. There is nothing really you can do yourself as you cant see whats going on. If there is any way to connect a screen to your lappy and switch the display output to that, if the screen displays an image then your laptops screen is bust, if not then your graphics is,either way the only wayto fix that is to let dell handle it.

kingofnexus, Dec 13, 2007
  10. thieveshonor

worldofhoax

Thanks for the advice. How would i connect another screen to it? Is there a way to do that without seeing the screen? And another negative side to the m1330 is the lack of a s-video port, i would have to buy a 60 dollar hdmi cable, and i dont want to do that unless i know it will work.

worldofhoax, Dec 13, 2007
  11. thieveshonor

WAW8

According to the Dell site, the laptop has a vga connector. Plug a cable into that and an external monitor. One of the function keys will have a screen icon on it. Press and hold the Fn key, and that function key, to get the video output to go to the external screen.

WAW8, Dec 14, 2007
  12. thieveshonor

happygirl15

OMG I just got a new computer last week a new HP Pavilion PC which has windows vista and everytime I restart I get a similar screen and I also did the diagnostics and everything passed even the video card. I can't figure out what it is, and wondering if I should take the computer back?

Here is what my screen does when restarting

http://aycu38.webshots.com/image/37917/2004330657385662795_rs.jpg

happygirl15, Dec 20, 2007
  13. thieveshonor

kingofnexus

Lol, that would make a nice background :hehe:

With new computers with problems its best to return it and swap it for a new one, rather than try and fix it yourself.

kingofnexus, Dec 20, 2007
  14. thieveshonor

worldofhoax

Hey, well i read somewhere holding down fn + power button will auto run the system dignostics (this was the only way to get anthying but a screen with mulitcolored vertical lines all over it) and after running the test ,of couse found nothing wrong, but i could run the system restore, after restoring the computer ran just as before, so im not thinking its a hardware problem. Ive have done 2 system restores before but the proplem kept comming back, but only afteran hour or so ofrunning(now im guessing that is the timeit took for the windows update to complete)as soon as the computer came back on this time, i saw windows update was running and i heard other people had proplem after the update so ive stopped the update and my computer has been running fine since.

worldofhoax, Dec 21, 2007
  15. thieveshonor

Aza

Thanks for the background. This is exactly the issue I encountered after installing the latest Nvidia Display driver, i.e. vertical color lines with white patches. The problem also occurs with Ubuntu after a longer period of being logged in.

I resolved the problem with the following fix:
    1. Loggin using safe mode and deactivate all Nvidia drivers and rollback driver via computer management>Device Manager>Display Adapter>Driver
    2. Restart and Login to normal mode and reinstall the original Nvidia Driver that came in your Dell M1330 Drivers and Utilities CD, will go through a deinstall install ,process and reboot PC.

Recommend that if you are not comfortable performing this procedure you log a call with the Dell help desk for a technician to fix.

Hope this is of help sounds like a common problem with no official fix.

Aza, Jan 1, 2008
  16. thieveshonor

psukhija

This is NVIDIA graphic card issue. Disable it from device manager and it will work fine. And after that log the complaint and get your motherboard replaced (graphic card chip is integrated on motherboard).

psukhija, Aug 1, 2008
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question