"blocking" sites

Discussion in 'General Technical' started by MachoNachos, Feb 7, 2008.

1. MachoNachos

MachoNachos

OK. so i moved out and got myself a brand new shiny computer (ok, its a refurb, but its shiny enough for me).

And oo! it came with vista (on record, i'd rather run xp on it.. i know i know less secure, but i'd much rather get a virus a day than not be able to do anything.) Anyways, so I of course start to update the thing. (admitantly, i was lazy, and didn't seriously look into it until i had had it for a couple week **though i did get the norton av updated quick**.) And i have dsl to make things more fun.

So i update, and update, and update... and then tried to go on msn. and it won't connect, says theres a problem with the gateway... reboot it, reinstall it, so on and so forth. come to realize i can't access most microsoft sites, myspace, hotmail, etc. (I should note that itisn't like instantly blocking them...it justloads and loads and loads and sometimes times out, sometimes just keeps loading.Weirdest part is myspace i can occationally getthe firstpage to load, and then maybe a second page, but never log in,or do anything pastthere)

(I was looking and heard about people who said they had trouble with yahoo and other search engines, but i have no problem with them) and so i figure ok, simple, one of the updates did it. so i go to do a system restore, and it tells me it failed, so i tried 2 other points and nothing. Tried looking online, but most sites that looked as though might have some vital informationto end myfight withvista, wouldn't load.So my dad says that DSL, can be tempermental, and ishould a) tryresetting the box and letting it recognise the computerand b)try tweaking some acrinum i can't remember right now... and tried that, to no avail. And thought maybe its norton, and uninstalled norton protection, and all things symantek, and nothing. So i did a factory restore, and works like a charm... everything works again.

i start installing things, and begrudgingly realise that i really should re-install all the updates.. so i start doing that again.and same thing happends..and this time i notice i can't connect to servers on some games.. . uninstalled all the updates (i think) and didn't help.

and thats about where i am...with much aggrivation.

..any suggestions?

MachoNachos, Feb 7, 2008
    1. Advertisements

2. MachoNachos

WAW8

You said that right after your complete reinstall, everything worked. Right?

Then, either you did some updates or you installed Norton (I can't tell which) and you could then NOT get to websites. Then, you uninstalled the updates and still can't get to websites.

Windows updates installs drivers, not just SW updates. Could be a driver problem, don't know.

But since it DID work just after the complete reinstall, I suggest the following:

1) Reinstall again (I know, much pain -- but you do want a working machine, right?)

2) Disable Windows Updates to only notify you of an update -- not to download and install it

3) Check to see if "everything works" now. It should.

Then, do the following, once for each update:

1) Download and install one update

2) Reboot your system

3) Check to see if everything still works.

4) If so, repeat for the next update

5) If not, write down the update number, remove it, and repeat for the next update.

Need to tell you that this is going to be long and painful. I have over 60 updates installed on my system. If you have that many, and each one takes two minutes to install and test, you're looking at 2 hours of work.

Sorry, but without knowing which specific update caused the problem, this is the only way to restore a working machine.

Note: If you discover, sadly, that everything is NOT working after the initial reinstall (before you load any updates), post back here.

WAW8, Feb 8, 2008
    1. Advertisements

3. MachoNachos

MachoNachos

*sigh* i feared as much, maybe i'll just uninstall them all now and pray that works

I really really don't want to reload everything again.

and Norton came withthe machine, sadly, i like to update them at the same time so i'm not sure which did it

MachoNachos, Feb 8, 2008
  4. MachoNachos

WAW8

You said you already uninstalled them and that didn't fix it. The only way you're going to get a working system back is to reinstall from scratch and carefully load the Windows Updates indiviually. Either one of them, or Norton, clobbered your machine.

I'm sorry, but with the ongoing problems being reported from Windows Update and various AV products, in too many cases, a complete reinstallation is the only cure.

WAW8, Feb 9, 2008
  5. MachoNachos

TimeRanger

Just wondering here....Have you run a complete virus scan with multiple AV programs? Norton might find something that Avast won't, and vice-versa.

TimeRanger, Feb 10, 2008
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question