Blockbuster's Blu-ray Endorsement Having Major Impact on HD DVD Player Sales

Discussion in 'Main Lounge' started by Jason, Jun 20, 2007.

1. Jason

Jason

Blockbuster's decision to support Blu-ray in all of its 1,450 stores is having a bigger impact than it seems. A tipster at an unnamed retailer tells us they've had more HD DVD player orders canceled over the last few days than they've seen over the entire life cycle. The kicker? All of them were canceled because of the Blockbuster announcement.

Not only that, new sales of HD DVD players are nonexistent, with Blu-ray being the only things moving now.

The more tech savvy of us rent our stuff on Netflix or Blockbuster Online (which is still supporting both formats for now), but this announcement—covered in many mainstream media sources—had a big impact on people who actually rent at Blockbuster.

Any of you tipsters working at other retail outlets see something similar? Email us if you have. – Jason Chen

Jason, Jun 20, 2007
    1. Advertisements

2. Jason

kingofnexus

I'm so releived that Blu Ray is winning. It has the larger capacity which was the reason why I always stuck by it over HD DVD.

kingofnexus, Jun 21, 2007
    1. Advertisements

3. Jason

Camride

I hope BR does indeed win. I am not a Sony fan, but it is a superior format. Plus I'll probably get a PS3 eventually, so I will end up using that as my BR player until standalone prices drop to reasonable. I did the same with my PS2 and it worked out well.

Camride, Jun 21, 2007
  4. Jason

Jason

I'll buy whichever get's the cheapest, the fastest.

Jason, Jun 22, 2007
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question