Black Screen, desperate looking for a solution

Discussion in 'General Technical' started by pilgrim9, May 13, 2008.

1. pilgrim9

pilgrim9

Hi. I need good advice about the following problem; every time that I tried to access Control Pannel or My Computer, the computer goes into the Black Screen Mode. This problem started a few days ago.

The computer was under attack by SVC.exe and MSServer.exe Trojans and its seems that I managed to clear them, they are not showing up in the System32 or in the registry again. Probably thiswas due to accessing a few file sharing websites.

I ran AdWare 2007 who found around 87 Malware and Adware cockies, all deleted. I also used Kaspersky Antivirus who found around 23 Trojans and other nasties. In top,I runSpyHunter who found another 6-7 undesirables.So far, I been dealing with this problem by using the Task Manager to get back to the normal screen by typing explorer.exe into the "Task Box". WhenI tried again to access the Control Pannel or any of the Hard Drives, itgoes Black again.System Mechanics reveals that the application file named ddcbxYPF.dll reintalls itself every time that is deleted on HKLMachine\software\microsoft\windows\currentuser\explorer\browserhelperobjects and its string numbers like 7675C6E7-9DF2- etc under a new set of strings.

I went to System32 and I deleted the above file and all the files that install themselves with the size and at the samedate and timeas ddcbxYPF.exe but this one always re-invent itself. I also tried Hijack This found the file, deleted it, do a Restart, and again it is back. I downloaded a program called Free Autoruns program which apparently is a fix to deal with one of the latest Vista updates to restrict computers access to material coming for non-encryted or non-signed Websites which could be the source of the Black Screen. but I can not get to the Temp Directory to install it.

Also, everytime that I came back from the Black Screen to the normal one UAC shows up in spite that I disabled it long ago. I tried to access the Control Pannel and it goes black. As extra information the Internet works ok, runs very smoothly, I can access all other programmes, Office, Antivirus, Burning music, etc.(VISTA is the OS). The processorruns at 2.2gig, 2 1/2 Ram, all maintenence needed is done by System Mechanic Professional 7,

To be honest I run out of ideas, If anyone can help me I'll be very grateful. Thanks

pilgrim9, May 13, 2008
    1. Advertisements

2. pilgrim9

WAW8

Removing the malware is only part of the picture; the other part is replacing or restoring what they damaged. It sound like several system files got damaged in the process.

You have several options ...

If you have a Vista DVD, you can run "sfc /scannow" from an elevated command prompt. It will load the Vista DVD and rewrite the windows system files. That should correct any file that got replaced or removed.

You should then do a Startup Repair by booting from the DVD, pressing F8, and selecting that option. It will rebuild your boot, loading, and other files.

If those don't fix the problems, you will need to see if you have a restore point, and do a system restore.

If that doesn't do it, only a complete Vista reinstallation will repair your machine. And this time, don't turn off UAC. UAC having been turned on might have prevented some of the infections in the first place.

WAW8, May 14, 2008
    1. Advertisements

3. pilgrim9

pilgrim9

WAW8 I did follow your advice, run sfc and found a numer of corrupted files, apparently after the scanner is working ok. Thanks for your advice

pilgrim9, May 15, 2008
  4. pilgrim9

WAW8

Glad to hear you're OK. But, you were lucky. I'm not a big fan myself of UAC -- but it has it's usefulness in protecting from silent elevation of unwanted scripts and programs. Turning it off and/or suppressing the prompting reduces the annoyance levels, but it also puts you at much greater risk of infection.

SP 1 has brought some improvements in UAC that dramatically reduce the number of prompts you get. I strongly recommend that you turn it back on.

WAW8, May 15, 2008
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question