Black Screen and a Cursor

Discussion in 'General Technical' started by AdrianAnansi, Feb 19, 2008.

1. AdrianAnansi

AdrianAnansi

Hi. My brother set the computer into low-power mode then unplugged it in confusion. Now whenever Vista starts up, it gets past the Microsoft loading screen and displays a black screen and the cursor, which is moveable. We've tried safe mode (same problem) and done the various systems tests (we pass or nothing is found to be wrong) for some reason there are NO restore points and I for the life of can't figure at what to do. I really, really do not want to do a clean install of Vista (that erases my files, doesn't it?) Thank for any help......

AdrianAnansi, Feb 19, 2008
    1. Advertisements

2. AdrianAnansi

edayah3001

hiii... before this , i have same problem occur with my laptop... there is 2 ways to solve...

juz try this first... after you start ur computer, loading microsoft will appear before vista or xp logo.. before logo appear u should press F10 button. REMIND--- before logo. if not u should restart your computer.

if not applicable u can try this instruction

go to my computer and right click for :\cthen click at properties and box will appear. click at tools andstart the check now.. after that u have totick both fix and scan .. then if can u see, u have to choose schedule check or cancel.. juz click at scedule check. the u have to restart ur computer. let them continue checking. never interrupt. it may take long time. let it be. untill user access apear. then u can start ur computer normally

if these 2 ways not working, u just have one way.. restore it by system restore

edayah3001, Feb 19, 2008
    1. Advertisements

3. AdrianAnansi

WAW8

Can you boot into safe mode (pressing F8 when booting)? If so, you can change the power setting from in there, and upon reboot, choose Start Normally and you should be OK.

WAW8, Feb 19, 2008
  4. AdrianAnansi

AdrianAnansi

No, like I said the same problem emerges.

Like I said, I tried this and there were no restore points.

5. AdrianAnansi

WAW8

WAW8, Feb 19, 2008
  6. AdrianAnansi

AdrianAnansi

Didn't work.

7. AdrianAnansi

WAW8

Looks like you're out of luck. Any nondestructive recovery options require that you be able to boot into windows to get a desktop and then run something, either from a command window, or from the start menu.

Safe mode will let you reset parameters like power profiles, but if you can't get into safe mode, you can't get a desktop, and Vista repair won't fix it, the only other option is a complete reinstallation.

Sorry.

WAW8, Feb 20, 2008
  8. AdrianAnansi

AdrianAnansi

I noticed you are an Ubuntu user, as well as a Vista user. I just so happen to have a Ubuntu installation disk, and as you probably know, Ubuntu lets you run it off the CD. Is there anyway I can boot from Ubuntu, and use some program to transfer key things off my hard-drive? I have a very important project I've been working on for 6 months. I don't mind reinstalling as long as I can save my project.

AdrianAnansi, Feb 20, 2008
  9. AdrianAnansi

AdrianAnansi

Alternatively, I have read something elsewhere that has suggested that virtual drives may be a cause behind this problem. I just so happen to use a Virtual drive, and I was wondering if you could give me some instructions on how to uninstall the drive using the command prompt. I tried, but lack any experience in using it.

AdrianAnansi, Feb 20, 2008
  10. AdrianAnansi

WAW8

Good catch on the Ubuntu...

Yes, you can download the Ubuntu LiveCD, boot from it, mount your NTFS partition, insert a plug to an external hard drive or to a USB drive, and copy off your files.

WAW8, Feb 21, 2008
  11. AdrianAnansi

AdrianAnansi

Alright, I attempted to mount the drive and this is what I got:

$Logfile indicates unclean shutdown (0,1) Failed to mount '/dev/sda1': Operation not supported Mount is denied because NTFS is marked to be in use. Choose one action: Choice 1: If you have Windows then disconnect the external devices by clicking on the 'Safely Remove Hardware' icon in the Windows taskbar then shutdown Windows cleanly. Choice 2: If you don't have Windows then you can use the 'force option for your own responsibility. For example type on the command line: mount -t ntfs-3g /dev/sda1/media/HP -o force Or Add the option to the relevant row in the /ect/fstab file: /dev/sda1/media/HP ntfs-3g defaults, force 0 0

I attempted to enter the command, but it didn't work. I don't expect you to have expertise in this field, but anything would help at this point.

AdrianAnansi, Feb 21, 2008
  12. AdrianAnansi

WAW8

Ubuntu won't mount an NTFS partition if it is "unclean", meaning, the "dirty bit" has been set. This tells Ubuntu that the volume was not shutdown properly.

The only way to fix this is to go back into Windows and run CHKDSK on the partition. That will ensure that its shutdown is clean. Do NOT attempt to repair this inside Ubuntu. Its native NFS support will most probably trash the Vista drive. It's OK to read it, just not to write it unless you're using NTFS-3G drivers -- and that's beyond the scope of this forum.

You need to know how to run CHKDSK?

WAW8, Feb 21, 2008
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question