Black screen after POST no Windows load screen

Discussion in 'General Technical' started by 350ZOhio, Mar 15, 2007.

1. 350ZOhio

350ZOhio

I NEED HELP! Not sure what happen but starting yesterday my PC will lock up after the POST screen and I never get the Windows load screen...no green bars....Nothing!

Any help would be great.

Thanks

350ZOhio, Mar 15, 2007
    1. Advertisements

2. 350ZOhio

Jason

well, it could be a lot of things: hardware failure, or boot sector corruption. How long have you run vista for? You can try inserting your vista DVD, booting from it and going to the recovery section, tell it to re-install your boot loader.

Jason, Mar 15, 2007
    1. Advertisements

3. 350ZOhio

WAW8

As Jason said, it could be lots of things. If the DVD repair doesn't work, try getting into safe mode (by pressing F8 repeatedly during startup). If that loads all the way to the Windows desktop, click the Start button, type msconfig into the Search box and press enter. Click the Startup tab, then click the Disable all button. Then restart. If Windows then starts all the way, repeat the msconfig steps, re-enabling one item at a time in the Startup tab. When the machine then fails, the last item you enabled is the source of the problem. If you can work without it, use MSconfig to disable it, and continue with enabling the rest of the items -- one at a time.

WAW8, Mar 16, 2007
  4. 350ZOhio

Brian.Jackson

Hey there,

I would recommend runningthe freedrive fitness test to make sure the error isn'thard drive related. http://www.hitachigst.com/hdd/support/download.htm

If your HDD passes the Extended Testing, then I would attempt to go ahead and recover the system with your Vista DVD. Normally if there is a corrupt system file Vista will report the error before the loading screen, which leads me to believe it may be hardware related if you're getting no such screen.

Keep us posted :)

Brian
    Geeksquad COA

Brian.Jackson, Mar 19, 2007
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question