Bizarre Vista BOOTMGR Error

Discussion in 'General Technical' started by pfalor, Nov 17, 2006.

1. pfalor

pfalor

Earlier today I got the Vista RTM from MSDN and installed it without any glitches. It installed fine to my SATA drive and labeled the SATA boot drive "C", and my two IDE drives "D" and "E". I removed the Vista DVD from my drive and rebooted and was presented with a "BOOTMGR Missing - Please press Ctrl-Alt-Delete" error message. I put the Vista DVD back in the drive and restarted and it booted fine, straight into Vista.

I have tried using the Repair Startup from the Vista DVD and have tried modifying the BCD settings using BCDEDIT to reflect "C" as the boot drive. The weird part is that when entering the Vista Repair menu, it shows Vista as being installed on "E", so my guess is something is getting confused because of the physical hardware locations. Any ideas how to fix this without unplugging or removing my 2 IDE drives??? Some google searches have shown people experiencing similar issues but I haven't found a good solution! Thanks in advance!

pfalor, Nov 17, 2006
    1. Advertisements

2. pfalor

doghucat

Try downloading and using Vista Boot Pro are you dual booting

doghucat, Nov 19, 2006
    1. Advertisements

3. pfalor

VISTAULTIMATE

Ifound the answer to the problem. I went back into my SATA BIOS and cleared the drive of data. I unplugged power to all the other hard drives that were connected. This is crucial. Windows gets confused as to what is the primary drive. The drive you want Vista on needs to be the only one it see while you are installing. After saving the setting I booted the DVD as usual. I loaded mySATA drivers and usually at the load driver screen and let itdo its job. I pulled out the DVD after it wascomplete and it worked like a charm. The I reconnected my other drivres. I use to do this when loading XP. Good luck.....to me 5reinstalls before I figured it out.

VISTAULTIMATE, Nov 19, 2006
  4. pfalor

Jason

Unpluggin the drives seems to be a good fail-safe solution. Sometimes that MBR can just be a pain in the *** I know from a lot of experience trying to dual boot things in the early stages off vista w/ out using vista boot pro since it wasn't out yet. For whatever reason if "E" was your primary drive for whatever reason vista may have installed its boot loader to that drive instead of "C" where the rest of the OS was.

Jason, Nov 22, 2006
  5. pfalor

Simontjee

I've exactly got the same problem..

Can you please explain this briefly to me.. i am kinda a newbe

Simontjee, Dec 12, 2006
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question