Bizarre sound issue with Teamspeak 2

Discussion in 'General Technical' started by Cypher, Jul 3, 2007.

1. Cypher

Cypher

<DIV>So I recently upgraded to Vista and now when I use TS2 I can't hear anyone. People can hear me, however. Actually, I can FAINTLY hear muffled voices when people talk but it's so faint I can't even tell where it's coming from (maybe my subwoofer?) or understand a word they are saying.

Anyways, I have a SB Live sound card that's pretty old but still does the job. I can hear everything else including media, games, movies, etc. The 5.1 surround sound works as well. I tested AOL Instant Messenger's buddy talk and it's the same deal. They can hear me but I can't hear them. Any ideas?</DIV><DIV></DIV><DIV>-----Update-----</DIV><DIV></DIV><DIV>I've troubleshooted TS settings to the best of my knowledge. Like I said, AOL IM does the same thing. Yesterday I turned my volume all the way up and found that the muffled sound does in fact come from my subwoofer. It sounds like they have 10 pillows over their face, almost impossible to hear.

TS2 worked fine for me in XP so I don't think it's my sound card, but I've heard a lot of people having problem with sound drivers in vista, especially for creative labs. I just dont understand why all my other programs, games, etc. have no problems.

Either way, I find this really bizarre and haven't found anything too helpful. <DIV id=post_message_161734>(I've been to Teamspeak 2 forums about this already)</DIV></DIV>

Cypher, Jul 3, 2007
    1. Advertisements

2. Cypher

kingofnexus

If you have a headset what usually happens is that the speech is routed to the earpiece and all other sound comes through your speakers. If the the driver is not working it either thinks theres a earpiece when there isn't, or is not roouting the sound properly (your set up whether it isa free standing mike or headset is unclear). Is there any newer drivers from creative to install? I have a creative sound card and have had nothing but trouble with them but the recent drivers seem to do there job (not getting into direct sound which should be implemented into the driver - which is way off topic and i'm gonna stop talking about it).

Check what is happening by double clicking the sound icon on the taskbar next to the time. Click on 'Mixer' and check all sliders including team speak at aim is are at the same level.

kingofnexus, Jul 3, 2007
    1. Advertisements

3. Cypher

Cypher

Well, I don't have a headset. I have a mic that is plugged directly into my sound card. Could you link me to these drivers you referenced? I browsedthe creative labs website and couldn't find anything specifically for SB Live.

As for the mixer, I've already checked and made sure my settings are turned up.

Cypher, Jul 3, 2007
  4. Cypher

kingofnexus

Depends what soundblaster live! card you have... looking on the creative certian models of it do not have driver support.

kingofnexus, Jul 3, 2007
  5. Cypher

Cypher

Well, they in fact do not make drivers for the card that I have. That being said, would anyone like to recommend a sound card that is nicely compatible with Vista and 5.1 Creative Lab speakers? I'm looking for something &lt;$60 if possible.

Cypher, Jul 5, 2007
  6. Cypher

kingofnexus

Anything but a sound card by creative. Customer support as you can see with vista is awfull. My card is supported under vista, however now and again the driver mucks up and I get an awful crackly sound. Not to mention the lack of direct sound support in vista. What a shoddy company.

kingofnexus, Jul 5, 2007
  7. Cypher

Cypher

Cypher, Jul 5, 2007
  8. Cypher

kingofnexus

The SE has all but basic support in vista. I wouldn't recommend getting it.

kingofnexus, Jul 6, 2007
  9. Cypher

Cypher

Well then, I guess the question is what would you recommend? ;)

Cypher, Jul 9, 2007
  10. Cypher

Jason

Like said Creative has no vista support to their Live sound cards. The Creative X-Fi series should be well supported.

If you want a TRULY compatible sound card, be sure it support openAL otherwise directx10 will shut you out of the "good stuff". i don't recall the article, but vista is really going to change the sound card market.

http://openal.org/openal_vista.html

and as for the creative support...

Sound Blaster
    Internal Product Plan
    X-Fi Series RC1 Driver available
    Audigy 4 Pro RC1 Driver Available
    Audigy 4 RC1 Driver Available
    Audigy 2 ZS Series RC1 Driver Available
    Audigy 2 Series RC1 Driver Available
    Audigy LS Beta 2 Driver Available
    Live! 24-bit (internal) Beta 2 Driver Available
    Live! Series No Development Planned