Big problem

Discussion in 'General Technical' started by portiachan, Aug 24, 2008.

1. portiachan

portiachan

my computer worked perfectly fine yesterdya, but when i switched on my computer this morning, it works really slow and it took a very long time to sucessfully load windows

then i tried to open IE but it stopped loading for a very long time, then appearing as 'not responding'..i thought i only got the problem with my IE, so i tried to open other programs. but actually everything is going so slow and everything seems not working...i tried to restart my computer many many times but it is getting worse....things are going much slower now...

i tried to press ctrl+alt+del..it then goes black for a while, then sometimes, a message saying 'failure: security options' pops out, andthen the screen displays'please wait' forever until i press the restart button on the cpu. sometimes, it successfully loads the windows task manager (after waiting it to load for 10 mins). the task manager shows PROCESSES: 56, CPU USASGE 5%, PHYSICAL MEMORY 29%. the processes list seems alright but there are around 1x-2x number of svchost.exe running...is that normal? or is it a virus? i dont know...

but now i cant do anything with my computer...i have kaspersky installed but it didnt prompt me of any virus detection....

can anyone help me with this? thank you so much

portiachan, Aug 24, 2008
    1. Advertisements

2. portiachan

quasar

Have you tried just letting it sit and run for a while?

Vista does a lot in the background, like checking the file system for integrity, defragging, indexing, optimizing, etc.

I would do this. Turn the machine on. Login. Walk away. Come back in a couple of hours. It should be quiet, still, and ready to run. Is it still churning? If so, maybe there's a more serious issue.

quasar, Aug 24, 2008
    1. Advertisements

3. portiachan

portiachan

yes i have tried it...

i just let it run and it looks fine, but then when i open any of the programs the problem comes out again...

portiachan, Aug 24, 2008
  4. portiachan

WAW8

Run a full scan with Kaspersky and see what it finds. Select all file types and all disks.

After that, open Computer, select each Drive, then Tools, then select the option to scan and repair each drive. That will run chkdsk on reboot. Note if any disk errors are found. A failing disk and/or corrupt file system will show the machine to a crawl.

WAW8, Aug 24, 2008
  5. portiachan

quasar

I'd be interested in doing a Kaspersky scan, too.

BTW, have you installed SP1? We don't have much info to go on.

quasar, Aug 24, 2008
  6. portiachan

portiachan

yes i have sp1 installed..i am now running the kaspersky full scan...but wow! it will take more than 24 hours to complete the scanning...lol

portiachan, Aug 25, 2008
  7. portiachan

WAW8

That's not a good sign. I've not used Kaspersky, but I have used several versions of Norton/Symantec and NOD 32, and even on the slowest of machines, a full scan never took more than three hours.

Very slow system response is generally due to a combination of the following: low-speed processor, very little memory, highly fragmented system partition, intense background processing, failing/corrupt file system, failing hard drive, virus/malware.

You didn't provide your machine specs, so it would be nice to know them to rule out the first two. You can run defrag (although, given your machine response, it could take days!) to rule out the third. You can use resource monitoring features to check on background processes. You can run CHKDSK to check for bad clusters and/or file system corruption. You would need to download and run a hard drive utility to check on the health of your hard drive. Your Kaspersky scan should be able to check on the last source.

WAW8, Aug 25, 2008
  8. portiachan

quasar

We don't have your hardware, or really any info about your machine. I only have so many shots in the dark to take. Here's my last one. Something must have happened to your computer before it was switched on that morning. Maybe you installed something, or did something with it. Whatever it was, whether you think it was good or bad or has nothing to do with it, try to reverse that. Good luck.

quasar, Aug 25, 2008
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question