Best Firewall Program for Vista

Discussion in 'Security' started by plasmo, Jan 31, 2007.

1. plasmo

plasmo

Since there are threads for Best antivirus and Spyware programs, was wondering what people were using for Firewall (other than Microsoft Vista's ).

Kaspersky crashed my system twice, so i'm looking for a different one....

plasmo, Jan 31, 2007
    1. Advertisements

2. plasmo

Bistro

I've always trusted Zone Alarm.....HOWEVER: I installed Vista Ultimate last night and tried to install Zone Alarm Internet Security Suite 2007. On the box, it says "Windows 2000/XP/Vista Ready (italics mine). Now....when i see the words "Vista Ready", I assume that the manufacturer actually tested the product on that system. Low and behold, when I tried to install it, I got an error message that the version does not work on Vista! Helloooooo?? I went to their homepage and, of course, they have a Premium Help Line at 3$ a minute. I finally found their email, but only by going through their online automated "Ask Your Question" feature. I am real curious as to what their response will be.

ZA's firewall is probably the best in the world, but it seems that they were not ready for prime time. From what I can gather at their web site, it would appear that none of their products are really "Vista Ready". I wouldn't be surprised if Norton and McAfee are in the same boat. I would just stick with the Windows Firewall for now and wait for ZA to get their act together.

Bistro, Feb 1, 2007
    1. Advertisements

3. plasmo

plasmo

Yes, I too am waiting until ZoneAlarm works fully with Vista.

I tried Comodo which looks good, and supposedly works despite Error msgs during install,

which installs fine, but I couldn't get it to turn "on" (even after turning off Microsoft's Firewall)....so I had to uninstall it :(

plasmo, Feb 1, 2007
  4. plasmo

beertruckz

What version of Kaspersky were you running?? I've been running it for about a week now and have had absolutely no problems with it. It's the best firewall/anti-virus software that I've ever come across. In fact, I tried Mcaffe, Norton and windows live onecare and none of them found the 3 trojans that were on my system. Installed Kaspersky and it found them within 5 mins...

beertruckz, Feb 11, 2007
  5. plasmo

w59cb83x

Kaspersky is very good. I have it and had no problems whatsoever. I used to use Zonealarm also. but it's not compatible as of yet. I will go back to it once it is though.

w59cb83x, Feb 12, 2007
  6. plasmo

doffen

Waiting for ZoneAlarm and using NOD32

doffen, Feb 16, 2007
  7. plasmo

spacecowmoomoo

Kaspersky Internet Security is the best hands down. I've never had any problems with it and its not a system or resource hog. You can tune it to your own level of paranoiawhich increases or decreasesdrain on system resources and performance.

For more experienced and less paranoid users you can turn certain features off which slows things down such has on-access file scanning which is for the really paranoid. I just have web anti-virus, mail-antivirus, anti-hacker and anti-spy.

spacecowmoomoo, Feb 19, 2007
  8. plasmo

Jason

pc-cillian built in firewall.

Jason, Feb 19, 2007
  9. plasmo

Jpardue

i just got kaspersky with vista business, im impressed so far. alot of options to choose from due to your computing style.

Jpardue, Feb 20, 2007
  10. plasmo

jdonner

Mmm...first time I've heard someone say that it's not a resource hog. AVG on the other hand, now that's not a resource hog. Not as good as Kaspersky, but who cares, how many times didcareful peopleactually get infected? I do use Kaspersky, but only for on-demand scanning, but it never finds anything bad. The best virus protection is the person controlling the computer in my opinion.

jdonner, Mar 23, 2007
  11. plasmo

Salt

Try PC Tools Firewall plus. It's by the folks from Spyware Doctor. AND IT DOES WORK in Vista. I know this for a fact,as I AM using it on my copy of Vista Home Premium. Don't let anyone tell you it won't work,- I Guarantee they are wrong. I am running Vista, PS Tools Firewall Plus is working fine, and It is far better than Microsofts anemic built in F/W. P.S.- Make sure you get version 2.0 (the earlier version won't run in Vista) P.S.S. - Another nice feature. PC Tools FW automatically disables Windows FW in case you forget to.

Salt, Mar 23, 2007
  12. plasmo

Titch

I have a hardware firewall built into my wireless router and I use vista's built in firewall as another level of protection, this approach has very little effect on system resources.

In my experience, even in theearly days of XPthe the windows firewall has been more thanadequate along as you run it alongside a decent Antivirus/AntiMalware package.

The thing isit may not be the best firewall in the world but it is perfectly capable of preventing inbound attacks just like a routers firewall is. Outbound is where both windows and hardware firewalls alike stumble, but the only outbound risks are those associated with malware, that have installed on your machine which is where the AV comes in, as it will find any malware and remove it. eliminating any risk altogether. You willalso find this approach puts any nagging down to an absolute minimum.

Titch, Apr 6, 2007
  13. plasmo

chas0039

chas0039, Apr 6, 2007
  14. plasmo

Vester

I run Windows Firewallon my private network (Linksys WRT54G).

Vester, Apr 6, 2007
  15. plasmo

Jaycub990

Running CFP3 beta on Vista premium and i think this is going to be a winner although it still has a few bugs to be sorted out it's showing great promise and available for 32bit and 64bit with some really nice added bonuses like defense + :D running windows firewall on Vista Ultimate until the final release of CFP3

Jaycub990, Aug 29, 2007
  16. plasmo

astala"vista"

I use Kaspersky with my Vista Ultimate and I could say its the best. If you want free stuff, then lookout for AntiVir2007 which is really good :)

astala"vista", Sep 1, 2007
  17. plasmo

littlebits

I'm using FortKnox Personal Firewall 2007 and it works excellent on Vista.

Thanks.:)

littlebits, Oct 5, 2007
  18. plasmo

eastley

Good old Hardware firewall + Vista firewall does the job perfectly fine, and its all free..

eastley, Oct 21, 2007
  19. plasmo

CL0N3R

You all should try NOD32 anti-virus, in which I've had no complaints been running it for 6mths after my free Norton ended.

CL0N3R, Oct 21, 2007
  20. plasmo

deaf_girl

I use the one built into Panda Internet Security. I also use a router that has a hardware firewall.

deaf_girl, Dec 15, 2007
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question