Benefit of installing for all users or just me

Discussion in 'Performance & Tweaks' started by FoxIX, Jul 16, 2011.

1. FoxIX

FoxIX

I was wondering if it is more beneficial to install for all users or whether I should install just for me.

I am the only one that uses the computer but would like different profiles and have access to only some of them on another profile.

Would there be any speed difference between the two or not?

FoxIX, Jul 16, 2011
    1. Advertisements

2. FoxIX

tevans95

After looking into your question, it appears that it is based on permissions. Meaning that if you install it for the current user (your account) it would seem that it would just make it that only that account could use the software but all the files would be the same. So based on that it would appear that it makes no difference.

But since you would like for some profiles to access it and not others, I think it would might also be a kind of lengthy process but when you go to the properties of a software and go to the "Security" tab you can set permissions based on user groups (name does what it implies) or on a user to user basis. Most likely if you want to have better control of which account can or can not use a program, if you can make changes to the user groups you can place accounts in groups that you can then set in the program properties to have permissions dependent on what you disire, or you could just accomplish it by changing the permissions for each individual account.

This is what I have discovered, I haven't tested what I am offering you to do.

tevans95, Jul 22, 2011
    1. Advertisements

3. FoxIX

FoxIX

Thank you for the reply. I have all my programs installed for all users so I have set up (currently) two users. My main account and a games account. I then went through the list of startup programs in msconfig and put these programs into my startup folder for my main account and only the programs that I need for gaming in the gaming startup folder, but I still have the option to load other programs if I need to use something quickly without switching users.

FoxIX, Jul 31, 2011
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question